Problem reinstalling grub

Hello, after updating windows 10, the grub does not appear, try reinstalling grub, following these steps
https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader
but when I try to mount the partition /boot I get this error
mount: /mnt/boot: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/nvme0n1p4, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.
but if I install the gnome-disk-utility application and mount the partition from that application, i mount it without any problem but he mounts her /run/media/manjaro/ not in /mnt/boot
i have xfce and ssd samsung 960 pro partitioned with brtfs
I know I have to mount the btrfs partition mount -o subvol=@ -t btrfs /dev/nvme0n1p4 /mnt/boot

Thanks

1 Like

Take a look at this.
At grub prompt, type first
insmod btrfs

I am assuming you do not have a different subvolume for boot.

But

why /mnt/boot?
Is /dev/nvme0n1p4 root?
And isnt /dev/nvme0n1p1 /boot/efi?

/mnt/boot because that’s what he puts inhttps://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Restore_the_GRUB_Bootloader

The problem was that I mounted the partition / boot as brtfs, mount -o subvol=@ -t btrfs /dev/nvme0n1p4 but the boot partition is fat32 and I had to mount it like this mount /dev/nvme0n1p4 /mnt/boot but when after all the restart process I see grub rescue> I repeated the process 3 times and always the same thing happens and during the process is not ninngun error, all the commands are executed correctly.

1 Like

You always need to know first how the partitioniong scheme exactly is. And for btrfs partition the exact scheme of mounted subvolumes.
The Gparted screenshot indicates that you have a fat32 boot partition. But is it to be mounted on /boot or /boot/efi ? To find out:

sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p4 /mnt
ls /mnt
sudo umount /mnt

The same I would do for the btrfs partition:

sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p5 /mnt
ls /mnt

My guess is you don’t have any subvolumes on the btrfs partition. Then you can apply the Wiki “as is” [edit] taking into account how you want to handle UEFI.
You do it best from a live USB session as you already seem to be doing.

Oh boy. Your $esp is /boot, not /boot/efi
So your grub install will not work the ‘usual’ way.
It is recommended that $esp for grub should be /boot/efi (not/boot)

But if you follow the link I provided, there is a provision or a separate boot partition to use

[If there is a separate boot partition]
At step 4 above,
Find out where the /boot partition is, and if there is no other OS (like Arch) with intel-ucode.img
grub> search.file /intel-ucode.img root
grub> configfile /grub/grub.cfg

Did you use this to boot to manjaro and then do the ‘grub-install’ command?

1 Like

I’m not sure it is mounted on /boot, but it wouldn’t be a good choice if it was the case.

To be also usable by Windows the ESP should be mounted on /boot/efi. Then what Linux writes there and what Windows writes there can coexist. Do I understand it correctly?

Grub should be able to detect and put into grub.cfg uefi windows anywhere the windows efi file is.

The problem if $esp is not /boot/efi but /boot the grub installation may not work well. It needs a --efi-directory to be specified.

1 Like

but if I have /boot/efi

1 Like

Yes, but it is not a partition. It is a directory.
So, have you done the link provided?
Go to installed manjaro OS and do the commands.
Note the step 4 separate boot section.

I gave you the commands which output you were asked to post and you give us a screenshot of “whatever”. :unamused:

Forgive what commands do you mean?

1 Like

I’m going to do a new installation, because a couple of weeks ago I made a new installation, therefore, I’m not going to lose much. Thank you both for helping me.

by the way, I also have a laptop, with windows 10 and manjaro, and my partition esp is / boot / efi and after updating windows 10 the grub was still there.

Print out your fstab for the ‘problem’ computer and for the laptop.
It will be clear to you. [1]

Anyway, good luck.

[1] or if unclear, I’ll explain to you. gratis and contento.