Problem installing KDE 21 in VMware

Hello,

Currently I am using either Linux Mint or Ubuntu, but I would rather use Manjaro KDE. I downloaded the ISO version 21.0 from the Manjaro site. I checked the SHA-1 ISO checksums and they match what Manjaro gives as checksum

But before installing it on a laptop, I would like to try it in a virtual machine, I am using VMware Workstation Pro 15.5.

But I can not install it because when the system in Live starts, I arrive at a time where a message appears “A start job is running for LiveMedia MHWD Script (xx min, xx sec) / no limit” and even after 15 minutes of waiting, the process seems blocked. And it is the same if I try to install the XFCE version.

I had GNOME and KDE ISOs of version 20.2.1 and I did not have this problem installing it in virtual machine and with the same virtual machine configuration as when I tried to install version 21.0

Would there be something to do so that I can create a virtual machine of version 21.0, either XFCE or KDE?

Thanks in advance, this is the first time I connect to the Manjaro forum.

Try Virtualbox instead. We haven’t tested VMware for ages.

1 Like

I’m also using VirtualBox, but it’s not as complete as VMware to create virtual machine for my needs. And I had problems with VirtualBox, I had to desinstall it and now it’s impossible to install it again.

I’m also using VirtualBox, but it’s not as complete as VMware to create virtual machine for my needs. And I had problems with VirtualBox, I had to desinstall it and now it’s impossible to install it again.

No need to write that twice: even if you respond to one person, the other one will see it too.
No need to write that twice: even if you respond to one person, the other one will see it too.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

And VMWare does not officially support Arch and derivatives as a host OS so you should stick to what is being written below :arrow_down:, or stick to Ubuntumintu:

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php/VMware

So even when it is possible to install and run VMware on Manjaro - do not expect support on configuration of virtual machines or system issues arising from your VMware installation. You must have the required level of troubleshooting skills to solve these when they arise - and they will.

• If you need help configuring vmware virtual machines - your should look in the VMware documentation.
  • If you need help troubleshooting installation issues - use the comment section for the AUR PKGBUILD
1 Like

Highlight the Source or Proprietary Driver press “e” after which look for “driver=free”, then change to “driver=mesa” Hit Ctrl + X or F10 and it will start without a problem.

3 Likes

Thank you, this worked like a charm!

1 Like

thanks for your reply. did you do problems with vmtools? i have problems with drag & drope and copy clipboard. windows resize works fine

I’ve marked this answer as the solution to your question as it is by far the best answer you’ll get.

However, if you disagree with my choice, please feel free to take any other answer as the solution to your question or even remove the solution altogether: You are in control! (If you disagree with my choice, just send me a personal message and explain why I shouldn’t have done this or :heart: or :+1: if you agree)

:innocent:
P.S. In the future, please don’t forget to come back and click the 3 dots below the answer to mark a solution like this below the answer that helped you most:
Solution
so that the next person that has the exact same problem you just had will benefit from your post as well as your question will now be in the “solved” status.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.