Problem installing from CD

I am trying to install Manjaro on a laptop from CD. I have successfully used the CD before so I know that it works. But I run into a problem

Boot device didn't show up after 30 seconds...

I have tried to find solutions on the web including this one, but mine seems a bit different

The full error starts ERROR '/dev/disk/by-label/MANJARO_CINNAMON..., so I guess the problem is with recognising the device

I have run

cat /proc/scsi/scsi

and the output includes:

Host:scsi6 Chaennel 00 Id: 00 Lun:00
    Vendor: Optiarc Model:DVD RW AD-7560A Rev:DES02
    Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revission: 00

So I guess it can see the CD-ROM.

Where do I go from here?

The problem with booting from an optical device especially with older devices - is the size of the filesystems on the ISO.

The filesystems are compressed archives which needs to be decompressed in memory and the time taken can lead to very long loading times where the kernel times out.

Though I don't know how correct this assessment is - I believe something like a timeout is happening - also indicated by the message.

The general recommendation is to use an USB device - so this is where you go - USB device.

I can recommend using either ventoy - or the multiboot project.

Both is described in this technical article

Thanks. I've tried that but for some reason the laptop does not 'see' the USB when booting, but is able to read it when booted into a working OS

And I presume you have looked into the firmware and the various boot settings?

Forum kindly sponsored by