Previously working 3G USB modem no longer works with Manjaro Gnome

I had situations of no home internet so I dust off a really, really old 3G Modem which worked perfectly fine in Manjaro Gnome 42 and 43 but a month ago I wanted to use the trusty Huawei Mobile Broadband E303C and doesn’t work anymore.

Any clues of what might have happened? I already searched the forums and found the links to the arch wiki about 3G modems and I’m doing the recommendations but I find odd that it worked flawlessly in Gnome as much as having the driver + complete integration with Gnome network settings, I didn’t do anything with the terminal which surprised me. Now I have to do research and terminal-fu so see if I hit soemthing or I’m just punching the air.

Using Manjaro Latests Stable with Gnome 45 and current recommended kernel LTS.

No.

One question though - the system in question (not only hardware but as a whole) has been kept up-to-date through regular syncs?

Or is it another system - say a fresh install - which has never used the modem before?

You’re right. I made a fresh install back when Gnome 44 hit and I switched from ext4 to btrfs so it is a new system, same hardware.

What I’m concerned about is Gnome wifi and network settings have changed over time and Gnome 43 handled my 3G modem right from the settings and Gnome 45 no longer does this. It made me think my modem was not working/being recognized but I plugged it to a windows and worked as normal, so I know the modem is working just fine.

If I get the free time I might install Gnome 42 or 43 in actual hardware to take screenshots and get logs but I might need a couple of weeks to make room.

I also used an app called PdaNet+ for android and allows sharing/tethering from an android phone to other devices when your carrier blocks tethering. Worked just fine in Gnome 42-43 but tried Gnome 45 and no such luck when should be a simple wifi connection with proxy setting :frowning:

Gnome 45 network seems botched.

Going to to a full reformat and install this weekend, I’m going to sell my laptop so will try again in a clean system and report back.

The 3G usb sticks is a two part story.

They can switch modes from storage to modem and back again.

For that to work you need the usb_modeswitch package - I don’t keep a record - perhaps it is not preinstalled with newer Gnome ISO?

Just checked - the master branch for iso-profiles gnome edition does not install usb_modeswitch so installing said package may be the solution you are looking for.

sudo pacman -Syu usb_modeswitch
2 Likes

Again, you might be absolutely correct!

I think I see the issue now. I had Manjaro Gnome with all the bells and whistles but for my latest install I chose the minimal version and its been a nightmare ever since.

Little things most users don’t ever use I apparently use as I’ve to install a bunch of packages that would normally be in the full version.

Thank you so much for the time to respond and help!
Next format will be using the full version and I might remove the extras I know I don’t need instead of going the opposite and install the minimal version and install what I need. Is bad as I’m sometimes working offline and plugging something or installing something I need and realizing that I don’t have the packages been hurting badly. Thank you so much to the Manjaro team making such a robust OS when using the full version. Using the minimal install reminded me why I don’t just use straight up Arch.

Will report my findings this weekend. Thank you so much for reading this a and giving the insight. Have a wonderful day! Cheers!!! :beers:

If you do - get the latest testing ISO - a stable update is planned to next week - but installing the usb_modeswitch package will likely get you back on track.

I got triggered by the offline part as I realize that a large part of any userbase may have connectivity issues.

If you have the means and the opportunity there is a method which may work well for you.

The method was a result of topic created by another member on doing an offline update and possilby installing new packages Updating an Offline Manjaro Installation.

Techically - instead of using an online mirror - you use a portable mirror. There is a bandwidth overhead when syncing - but the advantage is that your portable mirror will always reflect your system state - thus you can install any package you like - offline.

• acquire a portable storage of 128G
    • technically it can be a partition on your system but removable is better as it can be used to update other systems as well
  • connect to a network with a stable internet connection

The result was this rsync

#!/bin/sh

#######################################################
####
#### Variables to amend
####
TARGET="/path/to/portable/mirror"
TMP="/tmp/manjaro"
LOCK="/tmp/rsync-manjaro.lock"

SOURCE="rsync://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/manjaro/"

[ ! -d "${TARGET}" ] && mkdir -p "${TARGET}"
[ ! -d "${TMP}" ] && mkdir -p "${TMP}"

exec 9>"${LOCK}"
flock -n 9 || exit

if ! stty &>/dev/null; then
    QUIET="-q"
fi

##################################################
### 
### This rsync command creates a copy of stable repo
### where symlinks are converted to regular files
### Expect the size to be around 50GB to 80GB
###
##################################################
rsync -rtLv --safe-links \
    --delete-after --progress \
    -h ${QUIET} --timeout=600 --contimeout=300 -p -c \
    --delay-updates --no-motd \
    --exclude="arm*" \
    --exclude="pool" \
    --exclude="testing" \
    --exclude="unstable" \
    --exclude="stable/kde-unstable" \
    --temp-dir="${TMP}" \
    ${SOURCE} \
    "${TARGET}"

rm -f ${LOCK}

And and accompanying script for setting up a local webserver to serve the mirror

#!/usr/bin/env bash
## sample script for updating a remote system with no network
## using a labeled filesystem on a portable medium

## mount using label e.g. ManjaroRepo
sudo mount /dev/disk/by-label/ManjaroRepo /mnt

## start the python http server
python -m http.server -d /mnt 8080 &

## use pacman-mirrors to point pacman to the local mirror
sudo pacman-mirrors -aU http://localhost:8080

## update the system
sudo pacman -Syyu

## optionally reboot the system
#reboot

If you - instead of syncing your system to an online mirror - sync your offline mirror on the portable medium - then sync your system with the portable mirror.

You are aware that 3G is being phased out worldwide.

1 Like

…actually it does. It’s pulled in by manjaro-modem. :wink:

#usb_modeswitch                    # required by manjaro-modem; optional for modemmanager
>extra manjaro-modem
1 Like

argh - you got me :gun:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.