Akonadi causes high CPU load

Good evening, ladies and gents!
I was so puzzled with the topped 100% load of one thread of CPU just after 27/07/23 update. It was every time I reboot different CPU # but I could not manage to find process or program which stuck. Actually Htop shows that those CPUs was 100% used but waiting for IO… I jumped around the topic, found no-one reported similar behaviour after update and decided to roll back and wait for the next stable update. Now I see part of the Aragorn’s story very similar to mine, but with some exception - I was able to operate -there were no stuck, but 100% load for one CPU thread. I’m on the before Stable update of 23.07.27 configuration and no issue! But update is pending… Would be good to get the solution even for two of us with 100% CPU load just after boot and nothing in auto-start.

Host: AORUS 5 KB
Kernel: 6.1.38-1-MANJARO
Uptime: 4 hours, 34 mins
Packages: 2051 (pacman)
Shell: bash 5.1.16
Resolution: 1920x1080
DE: Plasma 5.27.6
WM: KWin
WM Theme: WhiteSur
Theme: [Plasma], Breeze [GTK3]
Icons: oxygen [Plasma], oxygen [GTK2/3]
Terminal: konsole
CPU: Intel i7-10750H (12) @ 5.000GHz
GPU: Intel CometLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics]
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Mobile
Memory: 4451MiB / 31797MiB

Good evening.

This is a known reported bug with akonadi+mariadb
( most often triggered in these forums by ‘Kalendar’ )
(( and not the same as @Aragorn, we thinks, as aragorn is privvy to that bug ))

1 Like

Thanks, cscs! Kalendar is not installed but MariaDB is definitely installed. Going to apply update again and then change to 6.4.6 kernel to see the patch effect.

Moderator edit: fixed yourquoting tags

You also might be able to see what is depending on akonadi (and thus what is likely your culprit)

pactree -r akonadi

akonadi
└─kdepim-runtime
└─kmail
K-mail is set up to check for the mail only manually (upon request), but obviously it does not make any difference for this case… 6.4.6-1 kernel does not change the picture - still one CPU is reported 100% load (IOwait as per htop)
Upd: uninstalling Kmail -solved the issue.
Thanks, cscs!!! I’m cured!

For whatever its worth:
I always make it my mission to remove/disable as much PIM/Akonadi on any KDE as I can.
Largely due to it being seen as an unnecessary waste of resources (when its working right).
In my case thats 0 … so there are no akonadi or pim things installed - which is really the only effective way of taming it forever in my experience. It just so happens it also means avoiding this bug.

You are clearly articulating my strong suspicion. I went through some hassle about different akonadi’s before - that’s why un-installation was easy decision. There is no improvement here still unfortunately.
Your support is greatly appreciated! Thanks a lot.

I tend to agree. Kmail/Kontact the entire PIM never (in my opinion) successfully transitioned from KDE3 (which I seem to remember working pretty good) to KDE4 and certainly not now either. I wonder what will come of it in KDE6

Hmm, no, that’s not correct. Some parts of it did indeed never complete the transition from KDE3/Qt3 onto KDE4/Qt4, but KMail was not one of those things, and the parts that didn’t make it were dropped, such as KNode, which was a Usenet newsreader application. I’m not sure, but I think Kontact as a parent for the various kpim modules was also dropped.

The rest of it was ported, though. I even believe that akonadi was developed specifically for Plasma 5, because if I remember correctly, then in KDE4, its role was handled by nepomuk, which also did what baloo does today.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.