Problem with time and UTC and hardware clocks

Hi, been using Manjaro for my daily driver use now, and not many issues. Been visiting the forum, living the live, but recently I have been experiencing a real big problem. Time.

The timezones nearest available are far too inaccurate, and if someone uses the

Timedatectl

Command to manually set the time, I restart the computer, as It shows an inaccurate time again.

Here is a sample of my current timedatectl registry:

timedatectl
Local time: اتوار 2020-10-04 11:26:10 PKT
Universal time: اتوار 2020-10-04 06:26:10 UTC
RTC time: اتوار 2020-10-04 06:26:10
Time zone: Asia/Karachi (PKT, +0500)
System clock synchronized: yes
NTP service: active
RTC in local TZ: no

Suppose the Local time is correct, but instead every time it boots, the the system shows UTC time. I want to kill myself over trying to fix it. Help

Hi there,
This has worked for me when the clock on my system showed not the correct local time:

sudo timedatectl set-local-rtc 1 --adjust-system-clock

It may be good to reboot, go to your BIOS settings and have a look at the clock there which can be adjusted easily, if needed.

Regards!

In my notes for dummies I have this

# hwclock --systohc --utc

And if you are dual-boot Windows - then it is highly recommended to disable Windows Time sync.

2 Likes

If your hardware clock drifts a lot, it’s worth installing systemd-timesyncd. as that is the client side of NTP (Network Time Protocol) and depending on your drift, you can check 1/hour, 30 minutes, 30 seconds whatever for the time on a remote atomic clock and it’ll correct the hardware clock as long as the computer is running…

:innocent:

Also replace the motherboard battery every few years, which I sometimes forget to do!

1 Like

Nothing works, my cmos battery is fine, if you are wondering. I have checked the bios for the time, and I see the correct time every time (pun not intended). I guess Manjaro will have ot deal with this problem themselves.

Can we contribute to manjaro’s code directly by helping the manjaro team, or at least inform them of these stupid problems? I love manjaro, but the nearest timezone is in Karachi, Pakistan. (I live in Lahore, Pakistan, If you are wondering), and that is -2 hours inaccurate.

The Manjaro team just pulls these kind of things from the teams that are developing this “upstream”, so if your time zone would be in here:

or in here:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6557

You should file a bug with the kernel team

:scream:

Sources for time zone and daylight saving time data | iana.org
Each main entry in the database represents a timezone for a set of civil-time clocks that have all agreed since 1970. Timezones are typically identified by continent or ocean and then by the name of the largest city within the region containing the clocks

1 Like

The utc + 5:00 time is nearly correct, but for some reason, the karachi timezone shows as utc +3:00 only. I will be filing a ug, along with other issues I have encountered in Manjaro. For now the case is closed

1 Like