Can't install package(s) - getting “GPGME error: Invalid crypto engine”, "missing required signature" and pacman package cache file "is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature))"

Hi, everyone,

I’m trying to install packages and I keep getting the following errors - example with trying to install yay (that I already tried to install):

sudo pacman -S yay
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) yay-11.1.1-1

Total Installed Size:  7.78 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                                                           [#########################################################################] 100%
error: GPGME error: Invalid crypto engine
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                                                         [#########################################################################] 100%
error: GPGME error: Invalid crypto engine
error: yay: missing required signature
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/yay-11.1.1-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).
Do you want to delete it? [Y/n] n   
error: failed to commit transaction (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature))

I read that pacman doesn’t delete that cache file by design (so I don’t know why it asks me if I want it to be deleted), which would explain why deleting that cache file fails via pacman, however when I force-delete it I still get the same errors.

Can someone please help me solve this issue?

Do us the courtesy of searching before asking … lots of user have experienced the same thing.

1 Like