Possible to install a virtual machine on Manjaro KDE

I want to install a virtual machine on Manjaro KDE 24.0.2.

Is that possible ?

I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to (you haven’t given us any specific information or reasons) as long as your hardware supports virtualization. You can use VirtualBox or Qemu/KVM for better performance.

2 Likes

Why wouldn’t it be? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Since I have quite a selection of Virtual Machines, I’d say it is indeed possible. :wink:

If like me you choose Oracle VirtualBox, you might need to install the relevant kernel modules and run sudo vboxreload (NOT the command VB tells you, ending in vboxconfig). Obviously virtualization also needs to be enabled in BIOS/UEFI.

EDIT:
In VB, you don’t need the Guest Additions ISO for Manjaro etc. and probably also Debian/Ubuntu base as far as I know; just for Windows installations.

2 Likes

This must be the new “polite” way of saying “i am unable to google a guide myself, please spoonfeed me a tutorial step by step” :sweat_smile:

I am not going to do this, but instead share my general experience: i also used oracle at first because it is easier, but now i switched to virt-manager/libvirt/qemu and it is not that hard indeed. After installing virt-manager and the metapackage qemu-desktop, in some guides it was written to add myself to the libvirt-qemu and libvirt groups, i do not know if it is really necessary. Another thing is, that the network interface is not enabled on boot by default, you have to turn it on in the general settings. And last but not least, virt-manager tends to claim ownership of the iso files and stores the disk images by default in the root. Those have to be correctable, but i did not look up how because i use virtual machines just for some test very sporadically.
Other than this, the performance in kvm mode is near bare metal and it does need kernel modules, but has some less conveniences in comparison with oracle.

No problems running Virtualbox over here, totally up-to-date on Plasma 6 from Manjaro unstable branch.

1 Like

Yes :wink:

3 Likes