Please Help! Either won't boot or no video out after clean install (Manjaro 17.1.12 XFCE)

Hello,

I’m setting up our new HTPC moving over from Windows 10 to Manjaro Linux. I’ve installed the latest version (using the instructions from the Manjaro website using Rufus to create the install USB). It boots to the live USB perfectly, installs without a hitch, then starts to load Manjaro, loads the kernel (vs 14.65, I believe) and then the video just goes to blue screen like there’s no video output. I tried to follow the instructions for repairing the boot loader since that’s recommended if it won’t boot but when I get to the part where one boots into the installed OS, I get the exact same thing where the video drops out. I know that everything should be supported or I wouldn’t be getting everything working beautifully in the liveUSB, right?

Quick info:
Intel NUC 8i7BEH(Core i7, 8559u)
Iris Graphics (integrated)
8GB RAM (DDR4-2400)
240gb SSD (PNY Gaming Version)
Gigabit Wired Ethernet
Connected to TV via HDMI (works perfectly in BIOS and LiveUSB)

I used all the standard install choices and opted for “non-free” drivers option for the widest compatibility. I also updated the BIOS to the latest version for the NUC. Using UEFI mode, secure boot off.

Please, please any help would be brilliant. I thought I’d just be rocketing through the install and have things setup by now but instead I’ve had one thing after another go wrong. Ugh. FWIW, I’m returning to Linux (used to use as daily driver for several years) after having to go back to Windows for several years. Thanks so much in advance!

Crosspost: https://www.reddit.com/r/ManjaroLinux/comments/9lg837/please_help_either_wont_boot_or_no_video_out/

Misconception/mis-information. There is no non-free drivers for Intel.
Boot to TTY, editing grub, and confirm with mhwd -li that you have video-linux installed.
Read this tutorial for help

and post info if still in trouble

inxi -SMGxxxz
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old
journalctl -b-1 -p3

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by