Please enable VA-API support (and GPU rendering) in Firefox by default

Youtube may be enabling AV1 across the line.

cherry trail with open drivers, you also need to enable a separate flag for vp9 support

Personally when using webrender and VAAPI enabled I get these issues

[Child 3793, MediaDecoderStateMachine #1] WARNING: Decoder=7f0626f0b800 Decode error: NS_ERROR_DOM_MEDIA_FATAL_ERR (0x806e0005) - RefPtrMediaSourceTrackDemuxer::SamplesPromise mozilla::MediaSourceTrackDemuxer::DoGetSamples(int32_t): manager is detached.: file /build/firefox/src/firefox-80.0.1/dom/media/MediaDecoderStateMachine.cpp, line 3470

###!!! [Parent][RunMessage] Error: Channel closing: too late to send/recv, messages will be lost

I’m also having issues as well. Before 80.0 I would use Webrender perfectly on my system. Now, with the VAAPI changes, I need to choose between having VAAPI or Webrender in order to have my system not slow down immensely when I’m loading or scrolling through pages. Probably the NVIDIA drivers fault, sadly.

Did you tried this with OpenGL instead of Webrenderer?

It is sad those nVidia drivers causing so much problems. For many years in the past, nVidia was the best choice for Linux… In nowadays, AMD cards just simply works fine with Mesa.

Intel i965 driver causes issues too, simple wont work vaapi opengl and webrender is now a bug fest, worked fine before firefox 80 on wayland but even that doesn’t work now

For my system (i915, Intel Core i5-3210M and kernel 4.14), all these new options on Firefox 80.0, have improved Firefox experience: everything (especially pages scrolling) is well functional, pleasant and butter-smooth.

Unfortunately, I cannot support this. On my installation MOZ_EGL_X11=1 and layers.acceleration.force-enabled=true causes Firefox to become an empty, transparent, contentless window using nvidia drivers.

you can try webrender and see if that works instead of opengl

I tried. Same result.

you can try downgrading, update a kind of really screwed the pooch for me, of course you’ll lose x11, you’ll need to use Wayland

None of the suggested options made firefox use NVDEC for youtube for me, though the hardware does support VP9. NVIDIA sucks.

Those are some good settings, I enabled some of them myself. If they can cause stability issues however, it may be best not to turn them on by default. Besides, it’s Firefox itself that needs to mark them as stable in the end, which sometimes takes quite a long time to do.

many thanks for guide, im so confuse if i read in archwiki. many setting not match with my willing. thanks once again.