Plasmashell crash after update - black screen with cursor only.

Hi,
after pacman -Syuu and restart my desktop change to black screen and cursor. I have read a few topics but they don't fix my problem.

After few battels i gave up and come here.

Plasmashell output:

[niuniv@niuniv-pc ~]$ plasmashell  
org.kde.plasmaquick: Applet preload policy set to 1
trying to show an empty dialog
file:///usr/share/plasma/shells/org.kde.plasma.desktop/contents/views/Desktop.qml:146:19: QML Loader: Binding loop detected for prope
rty "height"
file:///usr/share/plasma/shells/org.kde.plasma.desktop/contents/views/Desktop.qml:146:19: QML Loader: Binding loop detected for prope
rty "height"
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/FolderItemDelegate.qml:302:17: QML Text: Binding loop detec
ted for property "width"
file:///usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.desktopcontainment/contents/ui/FolderItemDelegate.qml:302:17: QML Text: Binding loop detec
ted for property "width"
ted for property "width"
ted for property "width"
Trying to use rootObject before initialization is completed, whilst using setInitializationDelayed. Forcing completion
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
Trying to use rootObject before initialization is completed, whilst using setInitializationDelayed. Forcing completion
Both point size and pixel size set. Using pixel size.
libkcups: CUPS-Get-Printers last error: 0 successful-ok
libkcups: Create-Printer-Subscriptions last error: 0 successful-ok
libkcups: Get-Jobs last error: 0 successful-ok
libkcups: Get-Jobs last error: 0 successful-ok
libkcups: 5 "HP-LaserJet-Pro-MFP-m125nw"
libkcups: 3
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/bin/plasmashell from kdeinit
sock_file=/run/user/1000/kdeinit5__0
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 8 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 22 and type 'Read', disabling...
KCrash: crashing... crashRecursionCounter = 2
KCrash: Application Name = plasmashell path = /usr/bin pid = 2902
KCrash: Arguments: /usr/bin/plasmashell
Naruszenie ochrony pamięci (zrzut pamięci)

Kernel: x86_64 Linux 5.1.18-1-MANJARO

When i use:

systemctl stop org.cups.cupsd.service

and then

plasmashell

my desktop came alive but still... i have no idea why it's broke and how to fix it :<

Your printer is somehow involved here. Maybe uninstalling it will fix the issue and then you can install printer again?

Create a test user and log in. See if the vanilla Plasma has the same problem. If not, some configs or maybe cache is causing this. Delete plasma configs on your main user (this will restart it to vanilla Plasma).

1 Like

On test user everything looks fine.
I have also uninstall some cups package and clear cache. After that my main account and plasmashell came back alive.

But now i discovery two things:

1. Log on after restart is much slower then before
    edit: i have rename to default some plasmoids because they could be the cause of the problem with plasmashell. After that system log on much faster.

2. Menu bar/notifications now are in "a littel dots pattern" insted to be transparent (on test user i dont have this problem)

Newbie question - where are configs files from kde? I can just remove them and back to default yup? Will it help?

The easiest and simplest way would be to nuke all configs, delete:

~/.config

However, this will delete all your programs configurations (aside those that keep configs outside that directory (FF, Thunderbird), so the best way is to rename or have a backup of that directory.

So make a backup of that directory

cp /.config/ /.config-bak/

Then delete it:

rm -r /.config/

Reboot and be prepared to be shocked, because you will see everything in a vanilla state with all bad defaults you never knew about... System and programs will restore this ~/.config/ directory. Each app will create new default configs after launch based on base configs in that are usually placed in /etc/.

Then you go back to the config-bak and replace or copy the correct or app configs back to the newly created .config directory.

Or you can play with the original directory and rename single configs. It's less radical but more time-consuming.

Once you are in ~/.config/ you can search all configs with rc at the end (use filter or search function). Notice the name with plasma or kwin, those are most likely those you are looking for.

Also, check error logs like:

journalctl -b -p3

to see boot errors. Google those and try to fix them if possible. There are always some issues and many are not visible or important but you may recognize those that cause delays or more serious problems.

Have fun :wink: .

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.