Plasma5- applet thermal monitor not showing CPU temperature

Removed, added, about to reboot… brb.

No cigar. Intel here too, had to reload temperature sources (Again).

Same here AMD FX-8350 reinstall didn’t help :smiley: but was ok try it in anyway!

Hey, i just noticed now… after i rebooted Tower from applying the latest Stable Update today, my appletwidgetwotsit IS now showing the temperatures again, without me needing to manually reload them. It’s been a bit of a while since it last behaved correctly like this. Anyone else? Also, given today’s update was “only” systemd :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:, is my surprise to see this working again silly or justified?

1 Like

Nah unfortunately it’s still showing “OFF” here.

1 Like

Here on testing is still the same and also on unstable (that i have on another rig).

Yeah, rats, just went & woke up Lappy, which i also updated a couple of hours ago just before Tower, but i’d forgotten then to notice Lappy’s widget. Looked now… Off… had to manually reload again too. I assume this Tower surprise is just a one-off fluke blip, OR, it’s the damn poultrygoose still teasing me.

Apparently there was found a fix

To modify the file manually (till the update comes to us), see this:

it loads the values 3 seconds later than the GPU and HDD temperatures shows them tho …

3 Likes

i have some repeatability now. Last night i applied the Stable 2019-01-23 Update on Lappy, & tonight ditto on Tower. Both PCs repeated their previously-posted behaviour re this widget… Lappy had to be manually reloaded, Tower took care of itself just fine [like in the good ol’ days].

I wonder what _ plasma5-applets-thermal-monitor_ you have installed. Is from KDE Store, AUR or the Manjaro repos? :thinking:

That one.

There’ll be another data point soon. I’ll be doing the small update that came through hours ago for the systemd 239.303+really+239.6-1 & its three associated packages, so i [assume i] will need to reboot afterwards [?]. I’ll edit this post later this evening with the results.

EDIT: Post-reboot results latest:

1. Tower - widget auto-loaded the temps, again - yay!
  2. Lappy - widget did not auto-load the temps, so i had to do it manually again.

And both are from KDE Store?

If the only alternatives are those other two you wrote before, then the answer has to be yes… coz til i read your earlier reply i did not even know it was available in our Repo & in AUR. I would have simply installed it via the standard Plasma Add widgets... method.

Checking Pamac now, for thermal, i only see four hits in Repo:

As for AUR, there’s lots of hits but none i have installed; i assume this one is what you meant from there?
plasma5-applets-thermal-monitor-git r56.c22f2b6-1

There is a plasma5-applets-thermal-monitor in community repos too. I will look at the differences between the 3 sources later this evening, but i feel the AUR/git one is the same version as the one from KDE Store. Not sure tho. Mine is from community and i had to edit it as mentioned previously …

Hand - forehead - slap… it’s the 2nd one in my pic, yet i didn’t see it, Sigh!

Silly question – maybe try removing yours & installing the KDE Store one?

Mind you… my Lappy also has that too, yet still does not autoload any more.

Well, that was the intriguing part … Still, i think all 3 are behind the proposed fix patch and that might lead to conclude there is something else to all this issue. :thinking:

Apparently the difference is in the file /org.kde.thermalMonitor/contents/code/temperature-utils.js
line 16:
dbgprint('temp unit: ' + temperatureUnit)
vs
print('temp unit: ' + temperatureUnit)
as from what i understand that dbg is a short for debugging … so, nothing useful at all … as is on the git version.
I have seen you have on one install the thermald package. On my end that doesn’t help at all.
Tried will all 3 versions of the plasmoid, and without editing it as i did before, the temperatures do not load.

EDIT:
More investigation on this. I made some time this morning to look at Kargos

And based on a few scripts/plugins made by

i made my own. Still can be tweaked and refined i think, but this Kargos thing is quite powerful, really worthy for consideration. My executable script looks like this:

#!/usr/bin/env bash

#install lm-sensors first
#sudo sensors-detect then press Enter till the end

temp=$(sensors | grep -oP 'Core.*?\+\K[0-9.]+')
temp0=$(sensors | grep 'Core 0' | cut -c '16-17')
temp1=$(sensors | grep 'Core 1' | cut -c '16-17')
temp2=$(sensors | grep 'Core 2' | cut -c '16-17')
temp3=$(sensors | grep 'Core 3' | cut -c '16-17')
fan_speed=$(sensors | grep -oP 'fan1.*?\K[0-9.]+')
if [ -d "/proc/driver/nvidia" ]; then
    gpu_temp=$(nvidia-smi --query-gpu=temperature.gpu --format=csv,noheader)
    # https://stackoverflow.com/a/41859700/6074780
    # echo "<font size='2'>CPU&nbsp;&nbsp;Fan&nbsp;GPU</font><br><font face='Hack' size='2'>&nbsp;${temp%%.*}°&nbsp;${fan_speed}°&nbsp;${gpu_temp}°</font>"
    echo "CPU&nbsp;Fan&nbsp;&nbsp;GPU<br>${temp0%%.*}°&nbsp;${temp1%%.*}°&nbsp;${temp2%%.*}°&nbsp;${temp3%%.*}°&nbsp;${fan_speed}&nbsp;${gpu_temp}°| font=Hack size=12"
else
    echo "CPU&nbsp;Fan<br>${temp%%.*}°&nbsp;${fan_speed}| font=Hack size=12"
fi

it can reside anywhere as long as is executable, and set to the path of the Kargos Widget. The naming is interesting. My guess is that calling it temperatures.3s.sh it means it loads the info each 3 seconds, but i have to read more as the Kargos widget has it’s own sort of timer/rotation ?! :thinking:
Looks like this:

compared to the thermal widget is not that bad, but looking at the other scripts, combining them, it can make a super cool widget.

Update2:
Changed the code to resemble better the “original” thermal plasma widget when used in Panel.

#!/usr/bin/env bash

#install lm-sensors first
#sudo sensors-detect then press Enter till the end

temp=$(sensors | grep -oP 'Core.*?\+\K[0-9.]+')
temp0=$(sensors | grep 'Core 0' | cut -c '16-17')
temp1=$(sensors | grep 'Core 1' | cut -c '16-17')
temp2=$(sensors | grep 'Core 2' | cut -c '16-17')
temp3=$(sensors | grep 'Core 3' | cut -c '16-17')
fan_speed=$(sensors | grep -oP 'fan1.*?\K[0-9.]+')
if [ -d "/proc/driver/nvidia" ]; then
    gpu_temp=$(nvidia-smi --query-gpu=temperature.gpu --format=csv,noheader)
    # https://stackoverflow.com/a/41859700/6074780
    # echo "<font size='2'>CPU&nbsp;&nbsp;Fan&nbsp;GPU</font><br><font face='Hack' size='2'>&nbsp;${temp%%.*}°&nbsp;${fan_speed}°&nbsp;${gpu_temp}°</font>"
    echo "<br><font size='1'>CPU1&nbsp;&nbsp;CPU2&nbsp;&nbsp;CPU3&nbsp;&nbsp;CPU4&nbsp;&nbsp;Fan&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;GPU</font><br>${temp0%%.*}°&nbsp;${temp1%%.*}°&nbsp;${temp2%%.*}°&nbsp;${temp3%%.*}°&nbsp;${fan_speed}&nbsp;${gpu_temp}°| font=Hack size=10"
else
    echo "CPU&nbsp;Fan<br>${temp%%.*}°&nbsp;${fan_speed}| font=Hack size=12"
fi
echo "---"
TOP_OUTPUT=$(top -b -n 1 | head -n 20 | awk 1 ORS="\\\\n")
echo "$TOP_OUTPUT | font=monospace iconName=htop" 

and added the ability to be clickable and display some top information.

2 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Just found this thread Occasionally!

for people who still have problems , simple solution

go -->

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kotelnik/plasma-applet-thermal-monitor/b389b886a7ee759d06c9eb0e6a3b6abbea400035/package/contents/ui/main.qml

Copy Everything

edit

/home/your username/.local/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.thermalMonitor/contents/ui/main.qml

Paste Everything

Save and you are done

2 Likes

For some users there could be the location changed and the old config useless in the .local map about the copy and paste mail.qml instead of user ~ / .local is the location changed to … root /usr/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.thermalMonitor/contents/ui i was wondering that nothing worked on .local and removed the thermal monitor and all and was reinstalling and was missing the complete map on the .local location, but for shure reboot after the install and i was surprised that it worked again the right way.

regard from  Ideaal

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Forum kindly sponsored by