Plasma is Great!

I had gone thru and had my computer setup nearly identical with KDE, and then XFCE a few months ago. Just to compare it. XFCE was running about 100-150mb lighter then. I couldn't justify giving up the niceties for such few resources and went back to KDE where I'm happier.

7 Likes

That's exactly how I feel. Despite all my attempts to get warm with other DEs, I kept coming back to KDE. It should be like this ...

1 Like

I have a fallback Ubuntu installation for emergency cases but some time ago I got bored with Gnome and decided to install Plasma on top of it, now it feels so much better than it was in just cold and "Spartan" Gnome (despite the warmth of Yaru theme colours).

6 Likes
8 Likes

I think back / forward buttons also really miss vertical & horizontal scrollbars and couple of additional menus :woozy_face:

Arrows on arrows are not enough, i want MORE!!! :exploding_head:

5 Likes

I am facing a problem. Can anyone help me?

Anyone got an idea what this downward arrow is meant to say?

2 Likes

Read comment by Sam and it's replies at the bottom...Pretty much nothing useful, but making whole thing ugly :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Thanks, missed the comments.
Appart from the look, which as awalys is subject to personal taste, but boy, what a strange idea is this?
Shouldn't these buttons be self explanatory?
I would have never even thought that a button does something different when pressed for longer? And to be honest, I don't even know what it does? It shows me a path, but what path is that? The one 2 steps back? Or where I started when launching Dolphin...

Edit: after playing with this feature some more, I think I at least understand what the long click does, it shows where a short click will take you to...in case you forgot where you came from...
Somewhat useful I think, but like you, I'd say no need to mess with a back/forth button design which is globaly understood and used.
Quite an achievement to confuse people with a forward backward button.
I now need to try the other buttons to see if there are more easter egs. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It actually shows you all your recently visited directories and lets you pick which one you want to load. Firefox and chrome also work the same with their back buttons except with webpages instead.

4 Likes

Boy, never a dull day :slight_smile:
I didn't know about Firefox, so apparently I was wrong, this is not a new UI concept...
Well, I take it all back and argue for the opposite :slight_smile: , with full history showing, this is actually a useful feature.

3 Likes

As feature it's nice, just like hidden middle / RMB click on maximize button - which is super useful, but guess why browsers doesn't use this additional visual arrow for ages :smile:

Well...Let KDE stamp on same old UI rake i suppose, pretty sure 10 years later they'll get rid of this arrow :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Didn't know about that one, thanks for mentioning!

1 Like

I find it confusing that so many people [not just here, either] seem confused [moanfully so] about the Dolphin long-click functionality. IMO such functionality has existed for years in other applications, & i find it a good productivity enhancement.

I can appreciate that people might have been initially surprised about it, but confused? Whingey? :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

I had no clue what those little arrows did. I think I clicked them immediately after launching Dolphin, so there was no history for them to display. I thought they were useless.

Rather than investigate their function, I just ignored them after that :grin:.

4 Likes

What a temper, how can you just ignore those dreaded arrows?! :scream: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Dunno quite how i got there, but somehow for years now KDE has accustomed me to expect all manner of valuable extended/hidden functions & options, at various parts of desktop & app UIs, from left-clicks, middle-clicks, right-clicks, & long-clicks. Hence when i noticed the new arrows, & did not immediately see new benefit from ordinary left-clicks, i began trying all those other options, til... aha.

It's why alternatives like Elementary OS's Pantheon are an utter yawn-fest for me, & i'd be much more miserable to have to use such a feature-free environment like that vs Plasma.

I liken these things to easter-eggs, & far from moaning about them, i simply honestly delight in them.

6 Likes

I love KDE, but I've gotten used to the devs adding all kinds of things that I will never use. Occasionally they take something away that's useful to me - that I notice.

6 Likes

Sometimes Plasma developers remove little stuff like that, too. You never know. :smiley:

1 Like

This enhanced functionality of backward and forward buttons is a good thing. Now I have a reason to use those buttons since for simple back and forth actions I usually did touchpad gestures or mouse button clicking, it is always faster than navigating a pointer to on-screen buttons.

One thing I wish they would finally have a look at is KLook (implementation of quick look from macOS) - this feature is so handy that it's hard to forget about it even after years without macOS.

4 Likes

Forum kindly sponsored by