Plasma file dialog not used in chrome/firefox anymore

since (i think) either the update of kdialog 22.08.1-1 or xdg-desktop-portal-kde 5.25.5-1, when it comes to file saving in both chrome and firefox plasma file dialog is not used and defaults to GTK file dialog instead. for firefox i do have GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 environment var set

If the service is not enabled by default, then enable it with

systemctl --user enable --now plasma-xdg-desktop-portal-kde.service
1 Like

that service is running;

● plasma-xdg-desktop-portal-kde.service - Xdg Desktop Portal For KDE
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/plasma-xdg-desktop-portal-kde.service; static)
     Active: active (running) since Sat 2022-09-10 06:48:38 +0530; 6h ago
   Main PID: 15496 (xdg-desktop-por)
      Tasks: 3 (limit: 9354)
     Memory: 8.0M
        CPU: 4.150s
     CGroup: /user.slice/user-1000.slice/user@1000.service/session.slice/plasma-xdg-desktop-portal-kde.service
             └─15496 /usr/lib/xdg-desktop-portal-kde

Sep 10 06:48:38 koshika-inspiron-5520 systemd[1054]: Starting Xdg Desktop Portal For KDE...
Sep 10 06:48:38 koshika-inspiron-5520 systemd[1054]: Started Xdg Desktop Portal For KDE.
Sep 10 06:48:38 koshika-inspiron-5520 xdg-desktop-portal-kde[15496]: xdp-kde: Desktop portal registered successful>

but there is no comming back of the kdialog file selector.

the original issue this was reported with where xdg-desktop-portal-kde dumped core on startup was later seem to be fixed with the latest qt5-base package.

I have the same problem. The service runs as well and it brings no change. No matter if I restart the browser or restart the PC.
Does anyone have another idea what it could be?
Sorry for my English - I’m working with a translation program…

For me, the save dialog used for Chrome & Vivaldi still uses kde but it no longer respects my desktop theme, I wonder if it’s related to your issue? I’m also using the same versions as you.

Restarting the service as mentioned above, should fix: not working file dialog and not respecting the user theme. I can’t reproduce any of those issues on my installs in testing and unstable branches.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that cause it to use GTK?

GTK_USE_PORTAL=1

I don’t have this set and both are using plasma dialog.

If I understand correct: Is the leftmost part considered plasma and the rightmost gtk?

playing a bit

exporting the variable in ~/.xprofile changes the file picker after re-login

export GTK_USE_PORTAL=1

The downside is firefox titlebar layout gets distorted and changes to gtk theme/layout and min/max/close buttons - not seen that recently :slight_smile:

Yes that’s the case. Yours is using the GTK file picker and not the portal file picker.

There are multiple ways to get the KDE native file picker, global env, user profile env, or with firefox about:config > widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal.file-picker=1 should also invoke the KDE native one.

@koshikas Have you tried in terminal GTK_USE_PORTAL=1 firefox and where do you have set your env variable?

The theming issue with xdg-desktop-portal-kde is under investigation upstream. With Wayland it behaves differently.

2 Likes

I set widget.use-xdg-desktop-portal.file-picker to 1 in about:config and got KDE file-picker. No need to set any environment variable.

2 Likes

FYI;

Desktop: KDE Plasma v: 5.25.5 tk: Qt v: 5.15.6 wm: kwin_x11 vt: 1 dm: SDDM branch: unstable

let me emphasis this is on X11, most of you unable reproduce are on wayland i guess. i think there are lot of variables changing with qt5 stack changing to 5.15.6 and plasma 5.25.5,

the xdg-desktop-portal-kde service core-dumping issue is no more since yesterdays update to qt5-base 5.15.6+kde+r165-1, on my setup i had no themeing issues but the the service did core-dump before in the logs. i cant be certain as to when the kdialog went dysfunctional in chrome, which i use frequently than i do firefox.

plasma-xdg-desktop-portal-kde.service now seems functional with no errors in the logs when i invoke file-dialog functionality, logs plainly suggest a gtk-file-dialog is requested in chrome.

set this, and ran on terminal without ENV VAR and it still resorts to gtk-file dialog

did this as well, no avail same result. i used to have the env_var set in the launcher file (.desktop)

like i said i think there are lot of things changing and we should wait till everything settles, as for if this a X11 exclusive issue, MMMV

EDIT;
ok there is bug reported upstream on this;
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=458865

according to it, you can set;
XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=KDE as a workaround in /etc/environment
till it gets fixed

2 Likes

Thanks, That works :+1: