[Plasma]Black screen with cursor after update

Ok so at login greeter press ctrl alt F2 or F3? Then how do I copy paste that entire list? Please don’t tell me that I have to type it all…

Yes.

I won’t :slight_smile:
You can create one or two scripts when logged in your usual session to prepare those commands.

Ah yes. But I am not an cli or script guru so…

You don’t have to be, that script is minimal just to save typing effort.
Save those 2 commands as a script file:

#!/bin/bash

make it executable:

$ chmod +x script-file.sh

and you’re good to go.

Something like this? 2 seperate files named 1 and 2 placed in home folder.

#!/bin/bash
sudo pacman -Rdd attica karchive kbookmarks kcodecs kcompletion kconfig kconfigwidgets kcrash kdbusaddons kdeclarative kdsoap-ws-discovery-client kglobalaccel kguiaddons ki18n kiconthemes kinit kio kirigami2 kitemviews kjobwidgets knewstuff knotifications kpackage kservice ksysguard ktextwidgets kwallet kwidgetsaddons kwindowsystem kxmlgui libksysguard solid sonnet plasma-systemmonitor

#!/bin/bash
sudo pacman -Syu attica karchive kbookmarks kcodecs kcompletion kconfig kconfigwidgets kcrash kdbusaddons kdeclarative kdsoap-ws-discovery-client kglobalaccel kguiaddons ki18n kiconthemes kinit kio kirigami2 kitemviews kjobwidgets knewstuff knotifications kpackage kservice ksysguard ktextwidgets kwallet kwidgetsaddons kwindowsystem kxmlgui libksysguard solid sonnet plasma-systemmonitor

At login greeter press ctrl alt f3 and type:

sudo ./home/magician/1.sh

Followed by:

sudo ./home/magician/2.sh

Or am I missing something?

Yes, that is what i meant.

I get the error message:

command not found

and without the sudo:

file or directory does not exist

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

And when I tty from a ‘‘working snapshot’’, before updaten through pacman gui and execute:

sudo pacman -Rdd attica karchive kbookmarks kcodecs kcompletion kconfig kconfigwidgets kcrash kdbusaddons kdeclarative kdsoap-ws-discovery-client kglobalaccel kguiaddons ki18n kiconthemes kinit kio kirigami2 kitemviews kjobwidgets knewstuff knotifications kpackage kservice ksysguard ktextwidgets kwallet kwidgetsaddons kwindowsystem kxmlgui libksysguard solid sonnet plasma-systemmonitor

I get an error message:

target not found…

With a list of al the packages mentioned above.

There is a dot (.) in front of your script path (which means “current directory”) so that particular command would only work when called from the root directory (/). Loose the dot when executing the script, you already have an absolute path there.

There seems to be a package in your list which is not installed on your system.

I says that with all the pakkages that is listed in the command.

Will try without the dot.

Ah, I just spotted it now: the goal is to remove those -git packages, so those need to be in the pacman -Rdd script: sudo pacman -Rdd attica-git karchive-git ... and so on.

I should have seen that too… Anyways, tried and got something like this (translated from dutch):

error when initialise transaction ( cant lock database)
error : cant lock database:file already exists
if you are shure that there is no other package manager running, then you can delete /var/lib/pacman/db.lock

Have used the scrip in tty after updating system and with direct command from tty from a working snapshot.

It is what is says - there is a lock file present, which was created to only let 1 package manager at a time access the package database.
The presence of this file prevents the script from working - the command won’t do anything.
You can remove that file if you’ve not started another pacman or pamac instance:

$ sudo rm /var/lib/pacman/db.lock

and invoke the scripts again.

Had another try today. Found out that kdsoap-ws-discovery-client-git wasn’t installed on my system from the get go. The regular non-git version was so I changed the script accordingly. Ran it without getting the db.lock error. Then ran second script. All went well but after a reboot still a very simular error as displayed by designergaze. Different theme though.
Tried installing a different theme. Didn’t work either… The end result being that the problem is even worse because it will no longer start Yakuake after login.

Check if you missed some -git package and/or have plasma-desktop-primex installed and replace with regular packages (i.e. plasma-desktop).

Actually after doing below command again I’ve found out that I missed multiple (or something changed after all that messing around).

pacman -Qs | grep git

Added these missing -git packages to the first script and changed the second script accordingly. Left out a few because it started to complain that it could not be found. Btw I did this in tty before updating the system through pacman gui.

It all works now. Thanks freggel.doe

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.