Plasma 5.27 on stable branch?

Or use unstable branch

3 Likes

What’s weird is that my raspberry pi devices ( I have a 3, 3+, 4 GB 4 & 8 GB 4) upgraded to 5.27 yesterday but my desktop is still on 5.26.5

1 Like

Raspberry Pis use ARM instead of x86, which requires entirely different builds. Manjaro ARM rolled out 5.27 for stable branch on the 12th.

2 Likes

Who wants to make their whole system unstable for the need for an updated desktop? Be logical.

Also every version of KDE ever made has similar bug reports. The ones you need to pay attention to are the ones reported multiple times as those are probably real bugs and not the result of user errors.

That report can be found here: Most Frequently Reported Bugs

Note that most are crushed already.

This list is of the most critical only and I guess there are a few that could be annoying:

Bug List: VHI-priority Plasma bugs

1 Like

What happened on 5.24 to 5.25? I went through that change and noticed no problems that I can recall.

1 Like

Have a look here:

2 Likes

Lucky you :four_leaf_clover:

Plasma 5.27 fixed many bugs in 5.26 and is much more stable.

2 Likes

An additional reason for the delay is (my speculation) due to a delay on other parts of the stable update. I am on testing and we have had a number of issues with kernels during the past two weeks. The team is probably waiting for that to be sorted out, since they also want to update kernels with the update.

2 Likes

You can always switch branches to have newer packages. We even have a dedicated Plasma 5.24 repo if it is needed: GitHub - manjaro/plasma-5.24-lts: Binary Packages and PKGBUILDs for Plasma 5.24 LTS. This includes also install medias.

We have to see when the next stable update will come. Maybe in 2 - 5 weeks …

3 Likes

5.26 seems pretty stable already on my side, not a single hiccup…

4 Likes

Better to be safe than sorry, for sure. It seems to be a reasonable delay IMO to have a desktop that’s stable :+1:

3 Likes

Beautiful - 2 weeks, 5 weeks - MAYBE. This is a really great answer, and a bit more polite than just saying ‘when I feel like it…’.

As already stated, many times, everyone should be running decent snapshots and backups.

So everyone is welcome to jump onto another branch and test.

I’ve seen many folks who got impatient, they jump on testing, they jump on the bleeding edge, then they disappear (can’t admit they were wrong, maybe) and pop up - full of Vim - on one of a couple of other distributions.

Within a month, most have disappeared from those too.

In search of the Holy Grail… when it just isn’t there.

3 Likes

The operative word being maybe

:pleading_face:

1 Like

This is a lot of fuzz about nothing. Plasma 5.27 is a command line away. You can have it at any time you want. Just do a backup, switch to testing, update, switch to stable and voilà.

Manjaro is flexible to advanced users.

The operative word being advanced

A good song to listen to while switching branches:

1 Like

Can’t listen. :ear: problem. :hear_with_hearing_aid: doesn’t help.

Manjaro is a distro for advanced users. The problem is that it presents itself as if it was good for complete newbies. It is not. As an Arch based distro, it requires some know how.

If a user learns how to use Manjaro safely, maintain it correctly, it will be the greatest distro ever is.

So how I see it: either accept that Manjaro stable branch will be outdated but good for users who don’t want to learn basics, or learn how to backup, switch branches, troubleshoot system, repair it with chroot.
It’s not Manjaro holding anything back from you, it’s your skills.

If I wanted, I could even run Plasma git with Manjaro. I’m not sure if that is even available on vanilla Arch.

P.S. My OS install is running well for ca. 8 years, and I am on testing branch, occasionally jumping to unstable if I want to get something faster.

5 Likes

Or at least a willingness to learn…