Plasma 5.18 bugs

This is topic to report and keep track on the Plasma 5.18 bugs and reports from MANJARO USERS. Keep posting your own findings.

Thanks for links to bugs on other forums, like reddit but I won't add the to the list since they are not from this forum and may not affect Arch/Manjaro systems. So basically I want to keep it Manjaro centric.
I'll keep updating it with error submissions and fixes.

EDIT: I cleaned up the post and removed bugs that existed prior to Plasma 5.18, because if they are still here, it means they won't go anytime soon, plus the focus of the developers is to clean up the new bugs that are specific to Plasma 5.18.

Here is the list so far:

1. No longer can get resize cursor on the upper edge of the window titlebar on third party titlebars (not breeze).... but getting it on the edges and side edges is easier than ever!
    Submitted: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=417716
    Fixed: Note yet
    2̶.̶ ̶R̶e̶s̶i̶z̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶i̶m̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶f̶l̶u̶e̶n̶t̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶f̶i̶x̶e̶d̶.̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶d̶o̶w̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶f̶l̶i̶c̶k̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶m̶o̶v̶e̶s̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶j̶e̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶d̶u̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶,̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶n̶i̶c̶e̶!̶
    Submitted: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=415839
    Fixed: Officially yes in 5.18.0, in reality, not yet.

It's a part of older bug so it's not 5.18 specific issue.

1. When changing keyboard locale setup, the previous icon stays until we move the cursor out of it, so for the moment when cursor is over the locale setting, it's overlapping and looking bad.
    Screenshot_20200212_192110
    Submitted: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=417704
    Fixed: Not yet.

2. Overview is bugged - when closing one window in overview mode, instead relocating the rest of the windows, the overview mode gets closed.
    Submitted: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=415155
    Fixed: in 15.18.1

3. KDE Plasma 5.18, System Settings Fonts cannot be changed. If any options are changed the Apply button is not enabled.
    Submitted: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=416358
    Fixed: in 15.18.1

4. khotkeys got orphaned with last update, so when you remove the package, custom shortcuts may not work, so don't remove that package and mark it as explicitly installed instead.
    See details here:
    KDE - I have lost all my shortcuts!

5. Fuzzy theme previews in multiple system settings
    This bug isn't effecting everyone, just some.
    Submitted: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=417488
    Fixed: Note yet

1 Like

I don't have this issue with Intel mode setting.

I don't like the new sound mute/unmute clickable in taskbar.. because I have a small panel and use icon only task manager and it render difficult to click on the right place to switch to other app.. often I click on the mute shortcut.. will have to check if we can disable this tomorrow

Usually Manjaro waits for the first or in the worst case for the second version to have it released to Manjaro stable, so the delay may be 1-2 months.
Those on Arch, Manjaro unstable or testing, Suse Tumbleweed and similar cutting edge distros submit bugs in that time, providing for better Plasma experience later. First release is usually quite buggy but it depends on release. There were ones with insane amount of bugs or those (last two) where those were only cosmetic.

This release seems to be a bit more bugged due to many changes.

I also have intel modesetting. I guess it's not because of GPU drivers but the titlebar. If you use breeze, probably it works. Third party titlebars like the one I'm using are probably impaired. I'll check this later.

Yes.. sorry I forgot to say I was using breeze :wink:

Fwiw...

3 Likes

Yeah something's terribly wrong with fonts configuration.

1 Like

Bugfix tags/releases are made on Tuesdays in a Fibonacci sequence of weeks (1, 1, 2, 3, 5) after each previous release of the same series

Version Type Date Tars Date Release Comments
5.18.1 Bugfix Tue 2020-02-18 Tue 2020-02-18 (same day) Bug fixes and new translations only from Plasma/5.18 branch
5.18.2 Bugfix Tue 2020-02-25 Tue 2020-02-25 (same day) Bug fixes and new translations only from Plasma/5.18 branch
5.18.3 Bugfix Tue 2020-03-10 Tue 2020-03-10 (same day) Bug fixes and new translations only from Plasma/5.18 branch
5.18.4 Bugfix Tue 2020-03-31 Tue 2020-03-31 (same day) Bug fixes and new translations only from Plasma/5.18 branch
5.18.5 Bugfix Tue 2020-05-05 Tue 2020-05-05 (same day) Bug fixes and new translations only from Plasma/5.18 branch.
1 Like

there be dragons ahead...

What I want to know is how the KDE team came to the decision to push the release as LTS in the state it is in now? It's actually a regression from 5.17.5. Continuing maintenance of 5.17.X as LTS would have made more sense.

2 Likes

LTS only means that that version will receive bug fixes for a longer time than a normal release, not that it is more stable on its first release, sadly. The bugs present now will all be fixed soon anyways, it's the price early adopters have to pay..

I have blurry KCM previews - Global theme, Plasma style, Application style... Already reported at https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=416350

It was semi-rhetorical, I know what LTS means but they have been testing it for ages and also started working on 5.19. That's why I thought half of the basic UI issues listed in this thread wouldn't exist on release day.

They are KDE devs, after all. It's normal practice for them since KDE 4 :rofl:
At least they are not lead by that Aaron guy anymore IIRC.

The bearded wonder on the right? If it were, that would explain the need for speed at least. However, at the same time he's fairly anal so it would work properly :bearded_person:

Wooooooooooh! Get ya some of that!

@michaldybczak please add the below too then, the distortion of themes in window decoration view. It's still not resolved, it's carried over from 5.17.5 though, so not a new bug as such. I just didn't report it yet in case it was fixed by proxy. The black border is not present when windows are not maximised by the way, that's the only place they are visible.

I'm unsure what is this bug. Do you mean that thick line around the Breeze theme that shows on the checker?

I don't have it:

yes, it's present on my Intel HD 4000 GPU laptop. First noticed here when trying to diagnose the problems with a dodgy build of Chrome. I've tried every combination of Compositor option and cannot get rid of it.

Dark-Aurorae is also not displayed properly on a machine owned by @cscs FYI - Google Chrome 80 CSD issue (fixed in Version 80.0.3987.100 (Official Build) (64-bit))

Except I know that theme is broken, and no other item in the list shows the buggy appearance.

so Breeze is therefore broken too then even if the issue doesn't manifest when it's actually in use. There's something causing the black border in the theme but I don't know what. @Pointedstick

The thick line do shows up every time you switch the aurorae theme but disappears when the setting window is closed and opened again.
As far I can tell, this is only some buggy visual effect on the preview window but doesn't carry on to the real effect.

By the way, is there no dark mode with breeze aurorae theme? How is it possible?

No idea, I can make it look normal by clicking on Breeze but as soon as I click on any other theme or close the window and open it again the ugly black stuff returns.

Forum kindly sponsored by