Planning on building a mass storage system

Hi all, I’ll soon be receiving the last of the parts for my new PC build. It’s going to be quite decent, with a Ryzen 5 3600X, a 2070s, 16gb DDR4 at 3600 mHz, and, importantly, a 1TB M.2 SSD. I plan on installing Arch and a couple of my favorite games on the SSD, but I’m going to want more storage than that for other files.

So here’s my thought process: I’ll have my OS and a few games and programs on my SSD, and the rest on some large capacity storage device. I considered 2.5" SSDs, but they seem quite impractical for mass storage (because of price). This obviously leaves me with a standard hard drive. However, I’m not sure I want to have to deal with the noise of a HDD inside of my case, and I also want the files to be accessible from multiple devices. Thus, I’ve come to the conclusion that I’d like to build a storage system.

Here’s where I have my problem. I’m quite clueless when it comes to all of this, so I’m not sure where to start. How should the system work? Should I turn it into a Nextcloud server? Should I keep it strictly local? Is there some sort of other way of accessing the storage? If it helps to know any of this, I plan on putting the storage in my closet, with some sort of well ventilated custom chassis.

Honestly, I have no idea what questions I should be asking, so if you think that any knowledge, expertise, or advice you have may be useful, shoot it at me!

Thanks! :slight_smile:

This really depends on what you will want to store. The system you want to build is a nas. If you have data that would be important and should not be lost you would at least need backups and perhaps a storage pool ( like raid or a zfs pool etc. ).
If you will just be using it to save data to be available in the network you can just put any ole computer in the network and share the files over Samba or Nfs.

The way I did it in house ( I am cheap so there are better options ) is that I setup a raspberry pi 4 and attached an external disk to it. I made that available using samba so I can stream my videos to the tv and pc with a simple procedure.

There are ready made nas systems commercially available that do the technical work for you, but setting up samba on a linux computer is a quite fun learning experience and not overly hard. There is also a lot of documentation on how to do it.

If you have any more specific questions, don’t hesitate to ask.