Pinephone will ship with Manjaro next

I dislike nvidia as much as the next guy, but I will admit it will be a net loss to bar them completely, as the customers of them, would leave and take their money with them, which im sure would harm some people at the very least, although Im sure I could have used a better example, maybe wine for instance. but I hope my point came across nonetheless

but I do somewhat share the opinion of gating nvidia out, keeping a second gpu just for cuda is an annoyance at best, and thats just when it want’s to place nice, just I don’t want them to take their customers with them xD

Any information about the Manjaro flavors Lomiri, Phosh and Plasma Mobile?

Plasma Mobile seems to be a KDE development?
How stable and feature rich is it compared to the other options?

Hi,

You’re right, Plasma mobile is KDE, screenshots and info, see below.

https://www.plasma-mobile.org/index.html

1 Like

Hi,

i have seen that on the last “Version” of the PinePhone it said “Power by Linux” on the back, which i found really nice looking.
store.pine64 org/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/pmOSCE_back.jpg

Is it possible to also add this to this version of the phone?
Could be below the “enjoy the simplicity”?!

Thanks for your great work.

1 Like

There is an Alpha3 for phosh on the download server. But only 209 MB in size. Must be an error?

A post was split to a new topic: Curious about software compatibility on the ARM platform

Has there been any word on when a system image for the Pinephone with Lomiri shell will be added to the main download mirror?

Well, when I checked the size of our Phosh image it was 1,07 GB. You can check my upload and the one Bernhard did.

We are still working with UBPorts on that release. Most of the port is done. We only have to stabilize #Lomiri on our end.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update philm! That’s good news!

Yes thanks phil :slight_smile:

I have some questions regarding Lomiri, don’t know whether this is the proper place for it, or if it is deserves it’s own thread, but here goes: how exactly will Lomori work in the Manjaro release? Will it have Arch running underneath? Will it come with the ‘usual’ Arch + Manjaro package repositories that we known and love? :wink: Thanks for any answer/clarification.

I can’t get it right now, but it definitely looks promising! I just have a few questions –

How’s the experience with Facebook, Instagram, etc? The matter of the fact is some people don’t care/know about options for their privacy, so I have to hang on with them :wink:

Is the experience actually at a solid user experience right now? What’s it like when packages don’t exist? I think building stuff mitigates that, but I’m not positive :man_shrugging:

That’s all. Hope this is really is as good as it seems :crossed_fingers:

So, I know the real thing is coming soon, but I wanted to go ahead and say, Lomiri on Manjaro is good stuff. It is obviously still getting work, but it runs smoothly (the things that run). I feel like it is the smoothest DE for the PP so far, but I haven’t played in plasma for a while.

Don’t know if you all want a list of things still broken or not (to help with work), but I’d happily oblige. Obviously in a different forum post…

However, this is just as good as I had hoped it would be, now just to see what kinda issues there will be with putting apps on it…

Thanks again for the hard work, let me know if you’re looking for testers! Can’t wait for the CE version from you all!

I found the resources below helpful.

List of tested carriers
https://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/PinePhone_APN_Settings

PINE64 › PinePhone › PinePhone Software › Manjaro on PinePhone
https://forum.pine64.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=130

Well, i wish my next phone will be PinePhone. I currently have OnePlus 6 with custom kernel.

I’m on the same boat. What OS do you run on your OnePlus 6 as a daily driver currently?
I’ve long relied on LineageOS and tried UTouch recently but it is not usable yet on OP6.

As I understand it, this smartphone is not for the average user or to be use as a main unit. Isn’t it ?

When can we expect a smartphone like this usable by everyone ? (one year or more ?)

I am not really interested in the average user or everyone. I’ve been on the edge for picking up a PinePhone because I think it might be (almost!) usable as a daily device for me. I am anxiously watching my wallet if it can handle a Manjaro PinePhone, because the Manjaro branding is just enough to tip the scales for me. (Pray for my wallet, it’s still recovering from two new mechanical keyboards…)

1 Like

I’m very interested by this smartphone but I read on the net that it is not ready yet to replace a smartphone sell on the market. That’s why I posted here. I want to replace my old mobile phone by a smartphone, but only by a Linux smartphone and not by an android smartphone.

@ AlanP
May be in some weeks, but till now it is not ready to replace a smartphone.
In combination with crust, telefon funktion is not very stable yet.
To go for sure, just wait a little bit.

1 Like

No problem, I’m waiting. :wink: