System hangs when starting KDE X11 from TTY2

not that simple, but we can check some things that you’re able to run also wayland, but remember that the whole rendering is done with intel and software. you’re loosing a lot of performance, but anyway we check it and also please post the output of

sudo cat /sys/module/nvidia_drm/parameters/modeset

back in some minutes… need a smoke

Don’t Do That!™

Nvidia and Wayland don’t get along.

1 Like

may you post the output of

sudo cat /sys/module/nvidia_drm/parameters/modeset

I get a Y for the nvidia_drm modeset.

okay, it’s important that it is set. you’re logged in the session ? if so you can check the following two commands.

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
glxinfo | grep -E  "renderer|OpenGL vendor|OpenGL renderer"

the first one tells you if you’re on X11 or wayland. the second one should tell you if you are on nvidia or sgi (=intel). actually it should be X11 and Nvidia. please report.

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
x11
glxinfo | grep -E "renderer|OpenGL vendor|OpenGL renderer"
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti with Max-Q Design/PCIe/SSE2

okay, the trick is that the nvidia-modules are set at kernel-parameter in grub but also in the mkinitcpio-configuration and that the drm-setting is not overwritten by any boot process later (what we checked with the sudo cat /sys/module/nvidia_drm/parameters/modeset.

from here on it is pure testing. if you log out (reboot is not needed) you can select between x11 and wayland at the left-bottom menu that is on the login. here you can switch to wayland and login as wayland session.
be aware that it is just for testing if your 1650 does it. i owe an older 1050ti so i cannot guarantee but you will report to us. if you can succesful log in recheck

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
glxinfo | grep -E  "renderer|OpenGL vendor|OpenGL renderer"

it should tell you wayland and sgi (=intel)

if you log out and switch back to x11 these two commands will tell you
x11 and nvidia.

does this work ? please report

Switching to Wayland gives me Wayland and Intel here. Switching back to X11 gives me X11 and Nvidia.

mission accomplished :wink:

if you’re on wayland be prepared that bugs might appear. the preferred option should be x11 and nvidia but it’s on your decission. unless nvidia-renderer isn’t supported by wayland you’ll loose a lot of performance to one side but i have to agree that wayland is a way more snappier as x11. it’s your choice.

1 Like

Yeah, I should be able to work from here; thank you very much.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.