Pinebook Pro owners, how do you handle Manjaro freezing from low memory?

Running KDE Plasma 5.8.3-2-MANJARO-ARM on the pbp. I constantly run into issues with low memory and the laptop freezing. Understandable since we only have 4gb to work with. Do others have this problem regularly? If so, how do you mitigate it beyond having to manually restart?

Found this podcast with a number of suggestions for those running out of memory.. Here is a copy’pasta from their show notes:

• Fedora 32 Looking At Using EarlyOOM By Default To Better Deal With Low Memory Situations — The oom-killer generally has a bad reputation among Linux users. This may be part of the reason Linux invokes it only when it has absolutely no other choice. It will swap out the desktop environment, drop the whole page cache and empty every buffer before it will ultimately kill a process. At least that’s what I think that it will do. I have yet to be patient enough to wait for it, sitting in front of an unresponsive system.
  • earlyoom - Early OOM Daemon for Linux — The oom-killer generally has a bad reputation among Linux users. This may be part of the reason Linux invokes it only when it has absolutely no other choice. It will swap out the desktop environment, drop the whole page cache and empty every buffer before it will ultimately kill a process. At least that’s what I think that it will do. I have yet to be patient enough to wait for it, sitting in front of an unresponsive system.
  • rfjakob/systembus-notify: systembus-notify - system bus notification daemon
  • oomd — Out of memory killing has historically happened inside kernel space. On a memory overcommitted linux system, malloc(2) and friends usually never fail. However, if an application dereferences the returned pointer and the system has run out of physical memory, the linux kernel is forced to take extreme measures, up to and including killing processes. This is sometimes a slow and painful process because the kernel can spend an unbounded amount of time swapping in and out pages and evicting the page cache. Furthermore, configuring policy is not very flexible while being somewhat complicated.
  • low-memory-monitor on GitLab
  • low-memory-monitor — low-memory-monitor, as its name implies, monitors the amount of free physical memory on the system and will shoot off signals to interested user-space applications, usually session managers, or sandboxing helpers, when that memory runs low, making it possible for applications to shrink their memory footprints before it’s too late either to recover a usable system, or avoid taking a performance hit.
  • Nohang — Nohang is a highly configurable daemon for Linux which is able to correctly prevent out of memory (OOM) and keep system responsiveness in low memory conditions.
  • Better interactivity in low-memory situations - devel - Fedora Mailing-Lists
  • EnableEarlyoom - Fedora Project Wiki

In case you have not yet implemented a swap file or partition, this could be a start.

https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Swap

Default image comes with zram already,

I have max out the ram usage where the physical memory is fully occupied while zram was almost full too as zram is around 5gb already.

It was a bit laggish, do avoid system crashing on you there is an oom pkg.

Let me look into it for you.

All isos by default already come with zram?
Even the 20 beta interface, the ukui and the other in the community?