Pinebook Pro - Openbox

• Pinebook Pro - brand new
  • minimal, testing
  • Update:
    [2020-06-06T02:02:46-0400] [PACMAN] Running 'pacman -Syu'
  • Reboot:
    05:56:54 up 1:25
  • openbox
  • keybindings configured in .config/openbox/rc.xml don't work with the Up, Down, Left, Right.
    For example, this keybinding should move a focused window to the eastern edge of the display:
    <keybind key="W-Right">
      <action name="MoveToEdgeEast"/>
    </keybind>

Instead, nothing happens.

• Can workaround by changing keybindings to not use the arrow keys. In the example, change:
    "W-Right" to "W-l"

This is a known issue with certain types of keyboard.

The keyboard having issues is - usually - the ANSI type layout.

Your experience matches mine - and I think it is - at least partly - due to the FnNumLck which makes the right part of the keyboard function as a numeric keyboard and thus this is the scan codes produced - probably to distinguish between the NumLck mode and normal mode.

Yep that tracks... using the ANSI keyboard.
I used https://gitlab.manjaro.org/manjaro-arm/applications/manjaro-arm-installer/-/blob/master/manjaro-arm-installer to install to the SD card slot, but I'm pretty sure I have the keyboard config correct.
I did notice that I didn't have an /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf , looks like the script should have included, since I did a minimal install. I made one anyway to look like this:

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "system-keyboard"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

but still no worky.

In general, how are issues like this typically addressed? I'm loathe to open an issue with the upstream developers, because I don't suspect that they are really thinking about ARM architecture. Are packages being patched by Manjaro dev and released to unstable?

Maybe there's hope for a post-install fix similar to https://gitlab.manjaro.org/manjaro-arm/packages/community/pinebookpro-post-install/-/blob/master/10-usb-kbd.hwdb?

I am going to raise this in another topic in the technical issues sub-forum, but the Fn key isn't working with a bunch of the F keys (F1-F7) when using Openbox with xinit. These functions work fine in the stock Manjaro Plasma install. However, the F keys still work fine in other uses.

There are a few other things that I'd like to open topics on, but I'm unsure whether to create them in bug reports, technical issues, or general discussion. Generally, I'm unsure what package to report the bug on, since any given symptom could be caused by a number of different packages.

After exploring the manjaro-arm Gitlab repos for a while, I think it might be better to open issues there? I would like to get involved in anyway that I can to help, but my coding knowledge is pretty limited.

Forum kindly sponsored by