Pinebook pro: nvme overheating fix

As been said before, it’s the silicon lottery, if you “won”,
don’t need this patch
But, overall, the pcie driver still needs work, to make sleep work, for example

This here ???

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=8737

@Strit, I installed your latest package, thanks. After more testing, I can confirm that the problem persists. Specifically, sustained writes to the nvme drive result in a freeze and relatively hard crash on my pinebook pro. Anecdotally, the drive does feel a bit cooler than before I installed the package you created. Write speeds before the freeze appear to be about the same, but I am copying large files from emmc, so that is probably the limiting factor. Also, the freeze behavior shows up whether I connect the nvme drive via the nvme adapter sold by pine64, or with the usb-c nvme external case. I will also note that I plugged the usb-c case into my desktop running mx linux on amd64 arch, and sustained writes are perfectly fine (the case actually feels a litter hotter during sustained writes on my desktop than on the pinebook pro with your latest package installed, which makes me wonder whether overheating is actually the problem).

1 Like

Are you sure the SSDs are not too eager on power? What’s their wattage usage?

I mean the output of
sudo nvme id-ctrl /dev/nvme0
sudo nvme get-feature /dev/nvme0 -f2

On PBP wiki compatibility list only the Intel 660p has been tested for the 2TB format. Sabrent 2TB has not been tested

Some SSD has an auto Power State settings based on usage so you can’t save PS. Could it be it’s drawing too much wattage while trasferring big chunk of data?

3 Likes