Pinebook Manjaro LXQt graphic speed

lxqt
manjaroarm
pinebook

Hi.

Let me first say that Manjaro works well on the Pinebook. The considerations below are only a discussion how to improve it more.

I noticed that the graphics in general is quick, however if you move windows with the mouse it often lags and the graphics show a tail effect.

You can try that for example with:

• PC-Manfm-QT: follows the mouse super slow. No tail though.
  • Firefox: follows the mouse super slow. Has graphics tail.

This could of course be down to drivers however, here is the thing.

If you open Qterminal (or Termite) you can move this window super smooth, no tail.

So somehow the current driver is quite capable of moving windows around.

Does anyone know how to find out what makes this difference or in which direction to explore further ?

Manjaro ARM 19.02 released!

That is a known issue (see the Manjaro ARM announcement):

* Slow windows dragging, with both compositor on and off.

Solution not yet available and may be simply a fact with such lower end ($99) hardware. A terminal window has no where near the graphics requirements of other more resource hungry software such as FF, so smooth movement would be expected in comparison.

dont know if it will help on arm device but it helps me in x86 but still install zramswap from aur and systemd-swap then enable zramswap and systemd-swap service
systemctl enable zramswap
systemctl enable systemd-swap
reboot.
and tell me if it helps.
or you can ignore it.

Does lxqt have some sort of setting for ‘dont update window contents while moving or resizing’ or similar ? You know … the one where you dont see things moving in real time … you just drag the square around and then things are updated after ?
(upon some reading … it looks like openbox supports this for resizing only)

Of course a more heavy-handed approach could be switching the window manager
~/.config/lxqt/session.conf
window_manager=whatever

…how would it work to use kwin instead of openbox?
I also hear JWM and Fluxbox have such a setting…
( for jwm: <MoveMode>outline</MoveMode> )
( for fluxbox: session.opaqueMove: false )

using kwin as wm in pinebook should be used with xrender as compositor backend.as opengl compositor backend is heavy.

yeah, honestly I dont like any of the solutions I proposed … the better solution would be adding that functionality to openbox or obconf or obconf-qt.
(assuming it ‘fixes’ it … I bet it would)

Manjaro ARM lxqt version uses Openbox as a WM, so we are limited to what that can achieve. I tried using kwin, but the image simply gets to bloated with KDE stuff when doing that, and openbox gets installed either way, because of dependencies.

no openbox should not get installed.
and to minimize the iso size
only install kwin
dont install systemsetting.
give config in kwinrc.

And how would users customize it in the GUI after they boot it?

they install systemsetting

So I need to install it by default. Like I do with ObenBox settings.
Same problem then. It pulls in loads of dependencies. :slight_smile:

yeah the download size is just 15.03 mb
for kwin and its dependencies
but installed size is 268.35 mb

What about systemsettings? :stuck_out_tongue:
Probably a lot more.

systemsettings download size 48.62 mb
installed size 455.31 mb

Exactly my point.
I will stick with OpenBox for the time being. If we install half the Plasma desktop anyway, you might just use Plasma instead. :slight_smile:

the problem with plasma is it takes too much time to start

So, I expected results like that from kwin … (though I think it could be done better…)
If K* is discounted then the questions become:
Can we ‘fix’ openbox?
How? patches? upstream ? some setting we missed ?
Then…
Would it be too wild to do something like lxqt with fluxbox for manjaro arm ?
Sounds crazy but its niche anyways and if it works … IDK.

Hi.

I have set up kwin in LXQt a while ago and it can be done without drawing all the dependencies. This could probably be improved and updated.
https://absolute-beginner.netlify.com/post/lxqt-kwin-virtualbox/
also, if interested see this up to date discussion in the LXQt forum. A bit further down some setups are described…

However my gut feeling is still that there is something not right and Openbox does not have to be that slow.

My next example to explore is to try the editor Featherpad or the viewer LXImage. Both show a almost empty window, yet they are again slow (no tail) and QTerminal is so quick.

The only difference I see from the outside are the buttons. Are they that hard to draw ?

I also find it weird, that some windows draw “tails” while others are butter smooth.
If anyone knows an Obenbox settings/config/variable that fixes this, please let me know. :slight_smile:

Would it be better to just use OpenBox already setup as a Desktop Environment instead of using LXQT? What about LXDE and Xfce DEs?

While I very much much prefer to use Xfce over anything else, I can very well see myself getting used to OpenBox full and LXDE on low end hardware.