Pi4 Audio Output

All of the settings look right. I have a speaker set with just a stereo plug and it just will not work plugged in. The contacts do not match.

Very strange. Yeah I just booted into another OS to try it again. The headphones and speakers work fine on Raspbian just not on my install of Manjaro KDE on pi4 ATM. Is anyone else having this issue on their pi with KDE?

@Mangled Try this:

sudo alsamixer
F6  (Choose headphone)
^ (up)
Esc

After changing the config and cmdline, the headphone is not there anymore and the options change. I now have

• bcm2835 Alsa
  • bcm2835 HDMI

Both do not seem to work. I’m going to try and revert my settings to default and try that again.

I noticed last night it may work. In the past the cmdline.txt was necessary because of scratchy sound. The config.txt was necessary to block the hdmi output. I noticed I still had hdmi sound though last night. I remember a commit a while back involving this.

Ok I revert the settings back to default and now headphone jack reappeared. It appears to work now. Basically changing the config and cmdline made the port disappear. Thank you for your help everyone. Issue has been solved. Basically dont change any configs on KDE to make a/v jack work. Simply apply headphone device as default playback. XFCE may require changes to be made. Can anyone confirm this?

I just want to confirm, because you are running xfce on your rpi4, did you have to change the config and cmdline to make the headphone (a/v) jack work? Im going to add the solutions to the arm wiki thread.

As I mentioned above in post #25 that you switching back to original I thought it might work because of some things I saw but no I have not tested it for sure. I will tomorrow as it is getting close to my bed time here.

I tested this fully today using the defaults that comes with the current image. And the sound works switching between the headphones and using dual monitors it plays sound out both hdmi ports for the monitors. It appears that no work arounds are not needed any more.

I did find in my testing with xfce using dual monitors that the performance is beyond horrible in xfce. I do not know at this point if it is xfce or mesa. I will test later using mate.

Here is a screen shot using dual monitors with sound playing on the second monitor. Also notice that “aplay -l”, and amixer defines really well the sound cards. Pulse Audio Control only defines the Headphones nicely; the 2 hdmi ports not so good. If you use the Volume control on the taskbar to switch between the sound cards it will be a total guessing game which card is what with the xfce DE.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.