Photoprint doesn't install

I’ve been using photoprint for many years, but in the last 2 years, I couldn’t able to install it as I got some errors with the latest version of Manjaro.
Could anyone help me with this issue?

g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -Wall -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/sysprof-4 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I/usr/include/libmount -I/usr/include/blkid -I/usr/include/fribidi -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/lzo -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -pthread -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS -MT printoutput.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/printoutput.Tpo -c printoutput.cpp -o printoutput.o >/dev/null 2>&1
 g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -Wall -I/usr/include/gtk-2.0 -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include -I/usr/include/pango-1.0 -I/usr/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/include/sysprof-4 -I/usr/include/harfbuzz -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng16 -I/usr/include/libmount -I/usr/include/blkid -I/usr/include/fribidi -I/usr/include/cairo -I/usr/include/lzo -I/usr/include/pixman-1 -I/usr/include/gdk-pixbuf-2.0 -I/usr/include/atk-1.0 -pthread -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fno-plt -fexceptions -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection -Wp,-D_GLIBCXX_ASSERTIONS -MT gprintersettings.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/gprintersettings.Tpo -c gprintersettings.cpp -o gprintersettings.o >/dev/null 2>&1
make[2]: *** [Makefile:313: gprinter.lo] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
mv -f .deps/printoutputselector.Tpo .deps/printoutputselector.Plo
mv -f .deps/printerqueueswrapper.Tpo .deps/printerqueueswrapper.Plo
mv -f .deps/printoutput.Tpo .deps/printoutput.Plo
mv -f .deps/gprintersettings.Tpo .deps/gprintersettings.Plo
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/javad/.cache/yay/photoprint/src/photoprint-0.4.2-pre2/gp_cppsupport'
make[1]: *** [Makefile:664: all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/javad/.cache/yay/photoprint/src/photoprint-0.4.2-pre2'
make: *** [Makefile:446: all] Error 2
==> ERROR: A failure occurred in build().
    Aborting...
 -> error making: photoprint

Moved to #support:aur

Have you seen the comments on the package page? AUR (en) - photoprint also flagged as out of date for quite some time now.

Yes, I’ve seen AUR (en) - photoprint, but it doesn’t suggest any solution to the problem.

The newest version is from 2010. I think you should retire this tool and look for another solution.

That is likely correct - but you get some important information - already pointed out in previous comments.

1. the source fails to compile
  2. several users has pointed that out
  3. the package therefore fails to build
  4. it has been flagged out of date for better part of 2 years
  5. the maintainer fails to respond

You should find yourself another tool.

Custom packages is unsupported for good reasons.

As your error indicates it is a lowlevel build issue and this requires the developer to fix it.

If the maintainer of the AUR script cannot or will not fix it - and if the application is generally abandoned by the developer there is no way you can get it to work - that is - unless you can fix - but hey - you asked here so chances are you cannot.

For you happy info - custom build script and the accompanying package installed to your system is unsupported and I recommend you educate yourself by reading below rambling

Yes, you’re right. I should find another program.
Actually, I’ve tried to compile it by myself on my PC but it didn’t work out!
And thanks for the mentioned link, I’ll read it.

I also mentioned this issue in the git of the photoprint and its developer Alastair M. Robinson replied the following message:

My apologies, but I’m no longer developing PhotoPrint and related software. There have been changes to GutenPrint’s API, and PhotoPrint will need updating to work with it.

So, I close this thread here and hope someone fixes this issue in the near future :smiley: .

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.