[Unstable Update] 2023-10-08 - GNOME 45

Hello community,

Another unstable branch update with some usual package updates for you.

GNOME 45 :partying_face:

:warning: Manual intervention is required. :warning:

• Our custom gnome-shell-maia package has been dropped. Update and install gnome-shell instead:

sudo pacman -Syu gnome-shell

:warning: Extensions that target older GNOME versions will not work in GNOME 45. :warning:

• It is recommended to remove all third-party extensions before updating, then install the compatible versions after updating and rebooting. All Most extensions in the Manjaro repos are already updated.

:grey_question: Should we keep Geary as the default mail client on the GNOME full ISO, replace it or include no email client at all? The GNOME minimal ISO currently does not ship with one.

• Geary
  • Evolution
  • Thunderbird
  • No email client
  • Something else (please comment)
0 voters

:point_right: Please see the below wiki post for known issues.

Developer daily build ISO changes:

• Replaced cheese with snapshot
  • Replaced eog with loupe
  • Replaced manjaro-pulse with manjaro-pipewire
Info about AUR packages

:warning: AUR (Arch User Repository) packages are neither supported by Arch nor Manjaro. Posts about them in Announcement topics are off-topic and will be flagged, moved or removed without warning.

Get our latest daily developer images now from Github: Plasma, GNOME, XFCE. You can get the latest stable releases of Manjaro from CDN77.

• No issue, everything went smoothly
  • Yes there was an issue. I was able to resolve it myself.(Please post your solution)
  • Yes i am currently experiencing an issue due to the update. (Please post about it)
0 voters

Check if your mirror has already synced:

1 Like

Known issues and solutions

This is a wiki post; please edit as necessary.
Please, consider subscribing to the Unstable Updates Announcements RSS feed

Please RTFT (Read This Fine Thread) first before reporting the same issues over and over again!

:arrow_right: 2023-10-08

Restarting gnome-shell using Alt+F2 and entering R, causes a crash

FS#79884 : [gnome-shell] Restarting gnome-shell using Alt+F2 and entering R, causes a crash

Incompatible extensions
  • GTile: No news yet. (gnome-shell-extension-gtile)

When are we gonna switch manjaro-pipewire from pipewire-media-session to wireplumber ?
Its still the recommended one in our repos, but is considered deprecated everywhere else.

PS. No problems on KDE :slight_smile:

1 Like

manjaro-pipewire depends on pipewire-session-manager. :wink:

Funny. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I know … I’m asking if there are any plans to change that.
I replace it manually.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PipeWire

1 Like

Yes, I’m aware. I’ll change it later to make sure the right package is installed during the ISO build.

EDIT: I just removed the pipewire-session-manager dependency. wireplumber is already pulled in by gst-plugin-pipewire and pipewire-alsa, anyway.

2 Likes

Does this also will apply to KDE install ISOs ?

Not yet since KDE still ships with PulseAudio.

But kwin depends on pipewire-session-manager…

Both pipewire-media-session and wireplumber provide pipewire-session-manager, so if you already have wireplumber installed, the dependency is met.

A post was split to a new topic: My laptop often fails to resume from sleep

Yes. But if system produced from iso installation have pipewire-media-session installed by default then installing manjaro-pipewire package will result in using deprecated pipewire-media-session instead of wireplumber?

No ISO has been updated yet except for the daily development GNOME ISO.

Update for GNOME users:

If you dont mind my other fiddlings, you can get an updated KDE with pipewire/wireplumber here:

3 Likes

Thanks for contributing! :+1:

2 Likes

:information_source: For the three people who are brave enough to attempt to use ZFS:

ZFS extramodules; i.e., linuxXX-zfs, have been dropped from the repos. There have been recent difficulties building them and no one on the Manjaro Team uses ZFS.

Please install zfs-dkms instead. You will to need to manually remove the old 2.1.13 extramodule package(s) first to install the new 2.2.0 packages; i.e., with linux61:

sudo pacman -R linux61-zfs && sudo pacman -Syu zfs-dkms

species One of Three responding …

sudo zpool export <pool>
sudo pacman -R --noconfirm linux61-zfs && sudo pacman -Syu --noconfirm zfs-dkms
==> ERROR: Failed to load preset: '/etc/mkinitcpio.d/linux.preset'
error: command failed to execute correctly
(4/4) Updating the info directory file...
reboot
sudo zpool import -d /dev/disk/by-id <pool>
sudo zpool status <pool>

all went fine but zfs-dkms takes a long time to finish so i am not that happy.

linuxXX-zfs is not in linux66 but is still in all the older one’s 54-65

Probably nothing as your system still boots but I’d check that rather sooner than later…