Phasing out i686 support

i686

hello,
thanks manjaro team along these years,
as a 32 bit old laptop user, I moved a week ago to Void Linux,
maybe a few months/years of respite…

Sing, Happy Trails to you Until we meet Again - Thank You 32Bit it’s been Fun :poop:

You know, it isn’t that hard to name the alternative(s) to give some disillusioned users a hint to the right path. AFAIK Void Linux is the only possible choice.

Wait for meeee~~

Anyway, Thanks for everything and till next time when my current laptop dies and moving to 64-bit x86 is inevitable.

Well, it depends on what you mean/need…
For example, Ubunut 16.04 (which supports 32) will still get security backports until 2021…

Aren’t there still a ton of distros supporting x86? Did debian drop support?

To be honest here I’m surprised that people are still using 32-bit x86 systems considering how old they are.

Manjaro v17.0.4 released
Manjaro v17.0.3 released

That’s the thing with a rolling release. You install it and it keeps going. :slight_smile:

I’ve got a number of bits of hardware that are happily doing the jobs they have always been. 32- vs 64-bit doesn’t affect that. I (personally) still hold out some forlorn hope that we’ll be able to use archlinux32 as an upstream package source.

A lot of netbooks from a few years ago were still not supporting 64-bit. Ironically, many of them had 64-bit atom processors with the 64-bit support disabled.

Why in Hell did they make netbooks like that?

Debian 9 supports 32-bit and will be supported until 2022.

At the time, that was the best compromise of low power, unit size and cost. Even Windows had a 32 bit win8.1. Many of those devices have 32 bit UEFI and there a lots of them just about ready for a second life with linux. Many can run 64 bit distros, but not usually OOTB. But a 32 bit OS gets more out of the meager 1 or 2 GB RAM, by almost 25% on my device.

Windows 10 also has a 32-bit version.

I’ve notice that they still make netbooks and other devices with only 2GB of memory and as little as 16GB eMCC of storage. Is it just me or has computering taken a few steps over the last few years? I find it to be rather strange that I can buy a 4 or 5 year notebook from Newegg that’s much faster then something that is brand new.

Those systems must crawl.

Seems Archlinux32 will then the way to go. They even plan to support i586 at some point.

Hi @philm,
Some applications usually need 32 bit libraries. After this event, how do they work?

By keeping [multilib] repo

I guess it could be mentioned in the news article or something?

manjaro-i686-x64

Only Torrent downloads

That was me. I kept downloading the 32-bit version by accident. :grin: