Phasing out i686 support

i686

Due to the decreasing popularity of i686 among the developers and the community, we have decided to phase out the support of this architecture.

The decision means that v17.0.3 ISO will be the last that allows to install 32 bit Manjaro Linux. September and October will be our deprecation period, during which i686 will be still receiving upgraded packages. Starting from November 2017, packaging will no longer require that from maintainers, effectively making i686 unsupported.

kind regards

Philip Müller
Project Lead

Manjaro LXDE 17.0.2
Will there be Manjaro i686 after feb 2017 / nov 2017
Manjaro v17.0.5 released
Can't log into Manjaro - cgroup: cgroup2: unknown option "nsdelegate"
Lost Gnome Classic from login screen
[Stable Update] 2017-10-29 - KDE, Gnome, Deepin, Firefox, Mesa, Kernels
Linux on Intel Bay Trail with 32-bit EFI

Just jumping in before the shrieks of anger and pain.
I understand this decision, and its been talked about for a long time, so no one should be blind-sided by this news. For those still keeping machines with such specs there will continue to be (albeit it other) options.
Thanks for the continued awesome.

question about video drivers , still in 32 bits or
we go forward 64 bits ?

Welcome back, man. Missed ya!

Welcome back on forums

Will there also be deprecation in 32bit packages in official repos, for eg some of the software packages depends on 32 bit libs. Such packages will also be deprecated and moved out of official repos?

This will not affect our multilib repo for 32bit support within the 64bit system.

hello,
thanks manjaro team along these years,
as a 32 bit old laptop user, I moved a week ago to Void Linux,
maybe a few months/years of respite…

Sing, Happy Trails to you Until we meet Again - Thank You 32Bit it’s been Fun :poop:

You know, it isn’t that hard to name the alternative(s) to give some disillusioned users a hint to the right path. AFAIK Void Linux is the only possible choice.

Wait for meeee~~

Anyway, Thanks for everything and till next time when my current laptop dies and moving to 64-bit x86 is inevitable.

Well, it depends on what you mean/need…
For example, Ubunut 16.04 (which supports 32) will still get security backports until 2021…

Aren’t there still a ton of distros supporting x86? Did debian drop support?

To be honest here I’m surprised that people are still using 32-bit x86 systems considering how old they are.

Manjaro v17.0.3 released
Manjaro v17.0.4 released

That’s the thing with a rolling release. You install it and it keeps going. :slight_smile:

I’ve got a number of bits of hardware that are happily doing the jobs they have always been. 32- vs 64-bit doesn’t affect that. I (personally) still hold out some forlorn hope that we’ll be able to use archlinux32 as an upstream package source.

A lot of netbooks from a few years ago were still not supporting 64-bit. Ironically, many of them had 64-bit atom processors with the 64-bit support disabled.

Why in Hell did they make netbooks like that?

Debian 9 supports 32-bit and will be supported until 2022.

At the time, that was the best compromise of low power, unit size and cost. Even Windows had a 32 bit win8.1. Many of those devices have 32 bit UEFI and there a lots of them just about ready for a second life with linux. Many can run 64 bit distros, but not usually OOTB. But a 32 bit OS gets more out of the meager 1 or 2 GB RAM, by almost 25% on my device.

Windows 10 also has a 32-bit version.

I’ve notice that they still make netbooks and other devices with only 2GB of memory and as little as 16GB eMCC of storage. Is it just me or has computering taken a few steps over the last few years? I find it to be rather strange that I can buy a 4 or 5 year notebook from Newegg that’s much faster then something that is brand new.

Those systems must crawl.