PGP Could not be imported

Sorry if this is a silly question.
I am on KDE, running from a live USB.
Trying to

sudo pacman -Syu 

I get lots of errors that keys could not be imported… example:

xmlsec-1.2.34-2  xz-5.2.7-1  yakuake-22.08.1-1  zbar-0.23.90-1  archlinux-keyring-20220927-1

Total Download Size:      1.11 MiB
Total Installed Size:  4167.84 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:        75.96 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
:: Retrieving packages...
 archlinux-keyring-20220927-1-any     1136.1 KiB  1979 KiB/s 00:01 [####################################] 100%
(455/455) checking keys in keyring                                 [####################################] 100%
downloading required keys...
:: Import PGP key 94657AB20F2A092B, "Andreas Radke <andyrtr@archlinux.org>"? [Y/n] 
error: key "Andreas Radke <andyrtr@archlinux.org>" could not be imported
:: Import PGP key C06086337C50773E, "Jelle van der Waa <jelle@archlinux.org>"? [Y/n] 
error: key "Jelle van der Waa <jelle@vdwaa.nl>" could not be imported
:: Import PGP key 9C02FF419FECBE16, "Morten Linderud <foxboron@archlinux.org>"? [Y/n] 
error: key "Morten Linderud <morten@linderud.pw>" could not be imported

Why? How can this be fixed. I am looking to install but…
What am I doing wrong?
I searched and found this link here Error pacman PGP key - #2 by Wollie
and accordingly I did

sudo pacman -Scc
sudo pacman-mirrors -f && sudo pacman -Syyu

Where I got same key import errors.
Is it because I am running from USB?
What if it happened after I install?

Sorry, I am totally new to Linux and to Arch/Manjaro.
Any help?!

I hope this helps:

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] 
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                     [####################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                   [####################################] 100%
error: archlinux-keyring: signature from "Christian Hesse (Arch Linux Package Signing) <arch@eworm.de>" is unknown trust
:: File /var/cache/pacman/pkg/archlinux-keyring-20220927-1-any.pkg.tar.zst is corrupted (invalid or corrupted package (PGP signature)).

I suspect that precise thing, yes.

After you install and update everything should be fine. As long as the ISO’s not too old.

:smile:

I just downloaded like last night, minimal, torrent.
But is it for sure because I am running from USB?

That’s fresh enough, in my opinion.

I have no way to be absolutely sure, but I’m saying it with 99% certainty.

In addition, while pacman is awesome and amazing, I recommend you start off at least with pamac, seeing as it takes care of more things than pacman. You can always progress to pacman when you’re more comfortable.

I tried installing “chromium” browser through pamac but had almost same errors and could not install.

This is why I searched and tried to do it manually through pacman. (Old man here coming from the DOS days)

What do you mean by “running on USB”? Are you running the command on the actual live USB medium or from chroot or did you install Manjaro on a USB drive?

I mean live session.
Just booted from the USB.

That scenario happens when the Manjaro packages are much older than on the mirror.

Unterstand that:

• You have pgp keys preinstalled on the iso.
  • Manjaro is rolling and keys will change.
  • Normally the pkgs archlinux-keyring and manjaro-keyring are signed with the previous keys.
  • But in your situation: it just skips to the new pkgs, but it cannot be verified with your current key.

So generally:

1. Key is there.
  2. It retrieves archlinux-keyring and manjaro-keyring, which contain the new keys, which are normally signed with the previous key.
  3. After installing those, you can run a normal installation.

Now your situation:

1. Key is there.
  2. It retrieves archlinux-keyring and manjaro-keyring, which contain the new keys, which are normally signed with the previous key, BUT you don’t have the previous key of that package.
  3. Error…

Solution: Use the most current ISO or do a workaround like that:

1 Like

NOTED.
Thank you

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.