Permanent Custom Kernel Config Possible?

Hello all,

I have recently switched to linux-lqx kernel. I know this is “unofficial” but I am hoping someone can help me anyway.

By default, the kernel config for linux-lqx disables most of the CPU governors and makes “performance” governor the default.

Since this is a terrible configuration for a laptop, I edited the build file to enable _makexconfig and then used xconfig to enable all the governors and make schedutil the default. Then carry on with the kernel compilation and install. Works perfectly, no problems.

Well, pamac just notified me of an update to linux-lqx and I was curious so I checked the config. Of course the config in the new update also disables most of the governors and makes “performance” the default - so I had to once again enable _makexconfig and manually make the changes before building the updated kernel.

So, my question is - can I somehow save my preferred kernel config and configure the system (pamac?) to always use that saved kernel config when building any linux-lqx kernel?

The goal would be that I could run an update via pamac and, if there is a linux-lqx update, my system will build the kernel the way I define in the saved kernel config (with no manual intervention required).

It is available already and viewable/usable through:

zcat /proc/config.gz

that is the current running kernels configuration

you’d probably use the

_use_current=

option in the PKGBUILD

to use that - but IDK for sure
experiment … :wink:

Making pamac do what you want by default (to use a special option within the PKGBUILD)
is absolutely beyond my knowledge.

personally - I use the zen kernel
have it installed beside the “normal” one just in case

It is a kernel that is pre-built - no need to compile yourself

I did that - back in the day
but the investment in time and energy never made up for the largely not noticable improvements a self compiled kernel might bring - in my opinion

Hey thanks!

I will look into that for sure! :slight_smile:

Okay I found the option and the comment certainly seems to address my goal.

# Use the current kernel's .config file
# Enabling this option will use the .config of the RUNNING kernel rather than
# the ARCH defaults. Useful when the package gets updated and you already went
# through the trouble of customizing your config options.  NOT recommended when
# a new kernel is released, but again, convenient for package bumps.
_use_current=

Manual intervention is still required, but it is much less involved since all I need to do is enable _use_current rather than running xconfig and clickity clicking, etc.

This is a good enough solution. Thanks. And yes, I realize I could have found this option easily if I had read the build file more. :slight_smile:

… read my post again - I added an opinion piece to it :wink:

Funny, because I tried for hours to figure out how to get the Zen kernel installed in Manjaro and came up empty-handed. Then I stumbled onto discussions about Zen that mentioned Liquorix and found liquorix dot net - and it seems to me Zen ~= Liquorix or the other way around.

Then searched pamac for Liquorix and found linux-lqx and I was off to the races. I don’t mind having to wait for the kernel to compile. On a modern CPU it is only a few minutes.

Also, if Zen kernel has most of the governors disabled (the way lqx does) then a pre-built Zen wouldn’t work for me. :slight_smile:

I never checked - but I have a laptop
and “performance” is definitely not the default or active

Try reading the Arch wiki - on how to get that kernel - or even lqx
pre-compiled

I really do - my i5 from 8 years ago is working more than a few minutes on such a task - and this is no fun on a laptop
… and not worth the effort - but I already said that :wink:

Ryzen 5 5625U (6 core 12 threads) here, in my recently-purchased HP 15" laptop. Compile took only a few minutes, and I was able to keep working on other things.

I should time the compile, just so I know exactly…

I’m sure it’s fast on that machine - but (again: IMO) still not worth the effort.

Kernel - ArchWiki

zen is in the Arch repo

Arch Linux - Package Search

not sure about whether it is in the Manjaro repo though

The CPU is making all the effort. No effort on my part. :wink:

Zen isn’t in the Manjaro repo. I’ve found several discussions on this forum (the archived one, actually) about it. The powers that be basically saying “don’t bother, it isn’t worth it” (re: Zen).

I do appreciate your help!

… except the time you spend each and every time on a kernel update …

I was trying to convey the same.

(I can effortlessly use zen because my main system is not Manjaro …)

a few tenths of a percent in speed might be gained when using Gentoo - where you compile everything yourself and with your own settings
but when put against the time needed to gain that speedup … well :wink:

… but you’ve just helped me trim that down from 60 seconds to 5 seconds :wink:

I’m still just testing lqx at this point. It does seem more responsive for basic tasks. Perhaps placebo.

I’ll run some benchmarks and compare lqx vs vanilla. If the things that matter to me are faster on one kernel vs. another, then I can choose.

Michael Larabel (phoronix) ran the whole suite of benchmarks with Zen vs. vanilla and found some profound differences. Zen won about half the benchmarks and vanilla won the other half :laughing:

mkay

exactly my point :wink:

You run software - your preferred day to day applications - not benchmarks …

will the marginal differences matter in real life? (rhetorical question)

are you sure you recompiled
instead of just running the already completed process once again, actually only checking for already existing stuff but not actually compiling?

5 seconds for a complete kernel compilation seems VERY fast (unreasonably so, even on high end hardware)

I’m talking about my time, not the CPU time.

After I edit the build file to add “_use_current=1” (5 seconds) the CPU does all the rest (under 10 minutes) and I get back to doing whatever I was doing, while the compiler does it’s job.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.