Performance vs. Windows

Good Evening,

I purchased a new computer. A Minisforum HX90G. It has an AMD 5900HX Processor, and AMD 6600M GPU. I have a couple of questions regarding it’s performance.

It came with Windows 11, and I was using that for quite some time in order to play some games. I have noticed that the performance is not quite as good when I attempt to play some of these titles on Manjaro. One title in particular has a dramatic performance decrease (Horizon Zero Dawn), whereas the others only slightly so.

Secondly, I have noticed that in Windows 11, my download speeds through Steam are significantly faster than they are in Manjaro.

Is there something that I am doing wrong? Is there a tweak or something I am not aware of?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

You are using X11 by default on KDE Plasma 5.
Try to switch to Wayland that should work with full AMD device when using multiple monitors with Freesync support.

This is a proprietary game for Windows. Make sure to install Vulkan driver and try different Proton versions.

“Secondly, I have noticed that in Windows 11, my download speeds through Steam are significantly faster than they are in Manjaro.”

Every time I’ve checked over the years, Linux is faster when it comes to anything networked. My Steam DLs are 5-10% faster. Also on Manjaro.

Do you mean 6600M GPU? So it has an APU+GPU? Hybrid graphics - ArchWiki
Make sure you are running on the right graphics.

There are numerous reasons for variations in download speed; most of which are not related to any given OS.

However, if you have one of the newer, faster 2.5Gbps ethernet controllers, it might be that your network has defaulted to 1Gbps settings in Linux; which would be a sane default considering not everyone has the latest and greatest in computer hardware.

Just something to investigate further. Cheers.

Windows games would run through wine/Proton, the effect will vary, some faster, some slower, even using different version of those tool might change things drastically, as they’re still being heavily developed. Native games are usually faster, though, e.g.: Dota 2, CS:GO (maybe CS 2, too, but I haven’t tested) or basically any CPU bound games as Linux CPU governors perform better than Windows (can be proven using CPU benchmark apps).

If only through Steam, then whatever server the Steam app is connecting to is to blame. If in general, it’s the driver for whatever chipset it uses. Not all cards have first party support on Linux.

Thank you so much for all of the help. That was incredibly fast.
Many of the options you posted, I have already tried. I also go to ProtonDB quite a bit to see what kind of tweaks others have made to improve performance and get some games working.

I am currently using Wayland.

I have the Vulkan Driver installed.

Yes. It has both an APU and a separate GPU. It shows that it is correctly using the GPU.

My 2.5G is currently enabled, and I am running on Ethernet not Wi-Fi.

I think this may be the case. The Ethernet Adapter is an Intel I-225V, and it has some issues with Linux (in general)

Have you checked your current download region in Steam on Manjaro?
Quoting Slow Downloads and Connection to Content Servers:

* Start Steam
* Go to Steam > Settings > Downloads tab
* Under Download region, select the region that you are in or that is closest to you.
* You can also try various regions near your location to see if a better connection is available.

Could be the NIC: Is the Intel I225-V Ethernet chip still a buggy piece of... | TechPowerUp Forums
If you have an alternative NIC, test with that.

The never ending story…

My 2.5G ethernet is also enabled and, not surprisingly, I’m also running on Ethernet. There was no suggestion of Wi-Fi in my comment, if that is how you interpreted it.

My comment still stands. Check the throughput of the adapter in case it’s defaulted to a lower connection threshold (as mine did, in Linux).

Indeed, the i-225v is a common chipset (sames as mine), and given that it was one of the earlier models in the general range, it had a lion’s share of issues.

From a personal perspective, my issues were solved by updating to the latest Intel firmware and drivers for the i-225v. There were known issues with the model, and Intel had a specific procedure to follow for Windows to solve the intermittant disconnections I was experiencing.

I had to jump a few hoops, and but eventually the firmware aspect also solved related speed issues in Linux (Fedora, at the time) [it was a multiboot system].

No step by step procedures to copy/paste, I’m afraid, but maybe this is helpful.

Cheers.

What internet speed is indicated with the LED at the NIC ?

LOL! No you didn’t. I don’t know why I thought that. :wink:

I have the most current firmware for my machine… but it doesn’t seem to help the problem.
If will check Intel® Ethernet Controller I225-V and install that driver to see if it helps clear things up.

Yep. I am connected to the right server.

I get really great speeds from speedtest.net, so that would imply that it’s not my NIC, it’s more likely a Steam issue. However, I will follow up with any possibility to get this resolved.

I’m not sure what you mean.

:no_entry:

I meant the connection speed indicated at the NIC.

Every operating system has pros and cons.

The pros of using Linux completely outweighs any pros to using Windows.

The cons of using Linux are so few in comparison to using Windows.

But hey - I am not a gamer - I am just a grumpy old coder who prefers the stability of Linux - especially Manjaro Linux.

I have some Performance comparison content for you, if you interested:

You may need to translate this german website in english…

(no need to watch part1 /its outdated):

Hey, I bet you’re secretly a Wizard;
…a graduate of Foxwarts; or a similar prestigious institution, right?! :mage:

I am not … hard work and a somewhat autistic personality.

The fox thing is really an old nickname assigned by a coworker many, many years ago when I worked security and surveillance.

1 Like