Performance compared to other Linux distributions

It looks like KDE Environment works much better for video encoding as XFCE under Manjaro.

Timestamp: 5:58

After looking both Performance Compare Videos, it looks to me that Manjaro had some difficulty performance issues compared to the other distributions.

I can only talk from my “lived experience”, but Manjaro consistently beats any other OS memory usage (in similar conditions) by 20% or more.

One of my devices is a 2GB RAM 2-in-1, so memory management is quite important. I have tried several distros there, but none gives me the usability (i.e. running Gnome, which has the touchscreen capabilities I’m looking for) and performance Manjaro does.

Here’s HTOP showing manjaro running under 700 MB of RAM.

Probably, but i was really surprised, one or tow weeks ago, i tried Xubuntu Hirsute Hippo.
At start it was 375 Mo, not more.
There are really few services started though, not enough for me.

That is true but in my case, I found that Ubuntu runs slower on my machine and hotter than Manjaro. Also, I find Ubuntu prone to running into more problems than Manjaro.

Just recently, I had Ubuntu 20.04.2 installed and I couldn’t run games because of some error. Something to do with the Nvidia drivers. Tried to remove those and installed older ones and then GDM wouldn’t start. Finally gave up and just installed Manjaro.

2 Likes

Ubuntu is as close to commercial Linux as it gets. And as contradictory as that may sound, commercial / corporate software is nowadays slower and more buggy and less stable than many seemingly smaller and more community oriented projects. It’s true even for Windows: Since switching to Linux those 10 years ago I get more performance and ease of use than I’d ever dream of on Win… can’t imagine how I used it my whole life before changing OS :smile:

Manjaro is my #1 distribution now, in my book it gets Linux (especially for desktop) about as right as you can get it. My previous distribution for a decade, openSUSE Tumbleweed, remains second place closely behind; It’s as good as Manjaro in most areas just a little bit left behind by it.

2 Likes

RHEL uwu