PC very unstable

Hello, I’ve been having trouble with Manjaro’s stability lately. It likes to lock up whenever I open something big or when an application crashed it takes the whole computer with it. The mouse movement just gets really jittery and nothing responds and then the computer locks with the HDD light solid on. Any suggestions for fixing the problem?

What CPU/How much RAM do you have? I’ve also had issues like this and I noticed Manjaro likes to store the /tmp folder inside RAM.

No it does not.

I was installing Unity editor and whenever I click download, the size of /tmp increases and my RAM increases as well. As soon as it finishes downloading, my RAM drop backs to 800MB and /tmp also decreases in size.

1 Like

Usually this is due to custom installed application(s) and can easily be caused by custom themes.

I have a Ryzen 5 3600 and 16GB of RAM

Hey, I don’t have any custom themes but I do believe it could be a custom installed program, is there a way to find what is crashing the system like a log or something?

Basic Manjaro installations - rarely poses issues with instability and slowdowns. The only place I have had issues has been with the opensource Nvidia drivers.

This will show you errors with explanations if possible

journalctl -xe 

It is very difficult to point any specifics unless someone have had experienced the same thing - and remember what was tried to remedy.

The hard going active suggests that something is using swap extensively - or it is your disk.

If it is disk - it can be bad sectors if it is a spinning disk - otherwise it could be a sign of fstrim.timer not enabled - then when it is AMD CPU then it could be some tweaking is necessary.

Arch based distribution uses tmpfs for the tmp folder - this occupies RAM but only up to approx. 50% - but it is usually not a problem unless what you are building is requiring a lot of tmpfs - then it is possible to run out of tmp filespace. And the tmpfs is dynamic which you see as a drop in RAM usage when the build is done.

Another setting could be swappiness which is too low or too high both can cause system to slow down.

Packages from the official repo rarely causes issues so my thought was a package from AUR - which needs rebuilding after an update or is especially system hungry.

Linux in general are build to cache file operations but that cache is release when other applications require memory - so that is usually not an issue either.

fstrim.timer was in fact not enabled, I have now turned it on. By the way I am using a SSD.

Please provide ouput of the following command

inxi -Fxzi

If you’re on kernel 5.9 then move back to kernel 5.8 and the freeze should be fix, if it is the same perform which I think it is.
Good luck.

System:    Kernel: 5.9.8-2-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.2.0 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.20.3 Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: PRIME B450M-A v: Rev X.0x serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends v: 2006 
           date: 11/13/2019 
CPU:       Info: 6-Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen 2 L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
           flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 102641 
           Speed: 4275 MHz min/max: 2200/4275 MHz boost: enabled Core speeds (MHz): 1: 4275 2: 4279 3: 4275 4: 4275 5: 4281 
           6: 4275 7: 4275 8: 4274 9: 4270 10: 4275 11: 4274 12: 4275 
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA TU116 [GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER] vendor: ASUSTeK driver: nvidia v: 455.45.01 bus ID: 08:00.0 
           Display: x11 server: XOrg 1.20.9 driver: nvidia unloaded: modesetting resolution: 1: 1080x1920~60Hz 2: 1920x1080 
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 455.45.01 direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: NVIDIA TU116 High Definition Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 08:00.1 
           Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Starship/Matisse HD Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 0a:00.4 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.9.8-2-MANJARO 
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet vendor: ASUSTeK driver: r8169 v: kernel port: f000 
           bus ID: 07:00.0 
           IF: enp7s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
           IP v4: <filter> type: dynamic noprefixroute scope: global 
           IP v6: <filter> type: dynamic noprefixroute scope: global 
           IP v6: <filter> type: noprefixroute scope: link 
           Device-2: Ralink RT5370 Wireless Adapter type: USB driver: rt2800usb bus ID: 5-3:4 
           IF: wlp10s0f3u3 state: down mac: <filter> 
           WAN IP: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 2.04 TiB used: 678.96 GiB (32.5%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST2000DX002-2DV164 size: 1.82 TiB 
           ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Silicon Power model: SPCC Solid State Disk size: 223.57 GiB 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 218.77 GiB used: 137.53 GiB (62.9%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb2 
**Swap:      Alert: No Swap data was found.** 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 49.2 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 39 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: nvidia fan: 31% 
Info:      Processes: 349 Uptime: 1h 17m Memory: 15.63 GiB used: 5.55 GiB (35.5%) Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 10.2.0 
           Packages: 1307 Shell: Bash v: 5.0.18 inxi: 3.1.08

Do you have the 16G 3200 kit from Corsair? if yes look at this?

I have downgraded kernal and I am still experiencing crashing. It seems to like to hang whenever I launch Virtualbox.

What about my question above? What memory kit do you have installed?

I have the G.SKILL TridentZ F4-3200C16D-16GTZR

OK so it might not be that. However, I had three different B450 motherboard on hands, with two 3600 and one 3600x, all with the Corsair Vengeance 3200 kit, and all had same issue with RAM timings too tight for the tRC causing random crash (one 3600 had rare crashes when the others had most regular crashes).

I think it might still be a lead but I have no experience with this specific kit.

I have found the computer try to crash again while Virtualbox was running. The computer locked up for a few seconds and recovered but the desktop had glitched out and wasn’t working well. After another few seconds the desktop recovered except for my second monitor which is frozen. In the display setting, I get the following error under the compositor:
“OpenGL compositing (the default) has crashed KWin in the past.
This was most likely due to a driver bug.
If you think that you have meanwhile upgraded to a stable driver,
you can reset this protection but be aware that this might result in an immediate crash!
Alternatively, you might want to use the XRender backend instead.”

The Virtualbox VM was aborted and it was in the middle of a Windows Update so lucky me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated