PC not Booting up properly after Kernel Update

Hi, guys !! My PC is not booting up properly as it was doing this kernel update to Mikah from Lysia. I will Explain my problem in brief, below.

When I sit and try to turn on my PC, on the 1st Attempt, a blank screen appears in my Computer Screen, not even BIOS is showing up. Then, later in my 2nd or 3rd Attempt, my PC Boots up to Manjaro fine.

I record this observation of not just one instance of this occurrence, but 4 - 5 times, same incident has occurred. And also When my BIOS doesn’t boot up, a blank screen with a blinking cursor is observed, or sometimes, a light grey screen with the same blinking cursor, and nothing else.

I can’t understand what is going on here.

When I updated my PC from Lysia to Mikah, I actually used Package Manager. The Package Manager window got hung up after downloading 100%. Then after like 5 Minutes, it started to install and upgrade packages and run post-transaction hooks.
NOTE: I tried minimize and even exit the Package Manager Window, as soon as I felt that it just got hung at 100%. But, it completed the process without any errors, I assume as, it didn’t display me any errors.

Then, after I finishing my other tasks, I restarted my PC to check this new update. And thus, from there-forth, I have this problem.

My PC’s Information:

System:    Kernel: 5.7.14-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 10.1.0 Desktop: GNOME 3.36.4 Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: FOXCONN model: A76GMV v: 1.0 serial: <filter> BIOS: American Megatrends v: 080014 
        date: 10/11/2011 
CPU:       Topology: Single Core model: AMD Sempron 145 bits: 64 type: UP arch: K10 rev: 3 L2 cache: 1024 KiB 
        flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm bogomips: 5602 
        Speed: 800 MHz min/max: 800/2800 MHz Core speed (MHz): 1: 1600 
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RS780L [Radeon 3000] vendor: Foxconn driver: radeon v: kernel 
        bus ID: 01:05.0 
        Display: x11 server: X.org 1.20.8 driver: ati,radeon unloaded: modesetting resolution: <xdpyinfo missing> 
        OpenGL: renderer: AMD RS780 (DRM 2.50.0 / 5.7.14-1-MANJARO LLVM 10.0.1) v: 3.3 Mesa 20.1.5 direct render: Yes 

Please and Kindly, help me with what is going on, how to fix this issue, and explain me why did this happen.

NOTE: I thought of share this info too, I downloaded Qt Creator with all it’s optional dependencies, before updating my PC.

Sounds like a hardware issue to me. If Manjaro isn’t even booted up yet - how can it have an impact on the computer trying to start up?
Is the machine emitting any beeps when the bootup fails? (indicating which part might be the problem)
I’d check any cables and plugs/connections - especially hdds/ssds, ram and pci cards.

1 Like

Even today, when I tried to work with my PC, it didn’t boot up in the 1st Attempt.

At the 1st Attempt, the BIOS Menu itself hadn’t appeared and cursor was blinking in my screen.
At the 2nd Attempt, my BIOS Screen came, but it just got hung up there itself.
Only, in my 3rd Attempt, my BIOS properly booted up, and then Manjaro also properly booted up as normally it does.

I will have a look at it. Thanks for your Suggestion.
:pray: :pray:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.