PC locks during v17.0.5 KDE install

If you are still in trouble, you should know that old (Legacy) BIOS has different logic from new UEFI.
In UEFI, you don’t need to decide where to install MBR. UEFI manages all installs no matter what disk (not partition) you installed Linux on.
Since you are dual booting with windows and windows is already installed in UEFi mode, you are advised to install Manjaro in UEFI mode as well. Of course you should verify that Secure mode is disabled.
As a matter of fact, I think you had done it well in your first attempt. You just had to select the Manjaro option (what you saw in the first drive).
So, you install manjaro as you did and don’t select the sdd for boot but look for Manjaro. You said you booted in Manjaro. It means the install was OK. Then after first boot in Manjaro, you update your Grub and it will find Windows and will add it in the boot menu.
From terminal run
sudo update-grub
After reboot you setup UEFI to always boot Manjaro, and you select Windows from Grub menu.
I hope I helped.
PS: This is a common thing and there are many forum posts with many scenarios and also Tutorials and Wiki pages.

After reading the above comments, how to install Linux v17.0.5 KDE, I would like to know what kind of issues I might expect by installing Linux v17.0.5 Xfce. I would like to get rid of Windows 10 Home, and want to do a clean install from Linux v17.0.5 Xfce, which means that I have to format the C drive and keep my data on my D and E drives/partitions. I am quite confused which option to use in the partition method, and my thoughts are going out to the option; “Replace a partition”.
I have read the tutorial “Manjaro user guide” which I have discovered on the Internet.
Please any comment in the right direction will make me more comfortable in using Linux.

Well from one Dutchie to another, I would say backup your data from D and E so you can restore them later onto your new Linux disks/Partitions. If not you are stuck with Windows partitioned disks and you don’t want that.

Backup everything important
Install Manjaro from scratch and use a partitioning scheme which suits you (read about manual partitioning first)
Restore your data to the places you want it to be.

Thanks for your helpful response. Indeed I am Dutch, and I live in North East Thailand for 25 years now. I saved my data and I am ready to install. Yesterday I have bumped into a new problem. I have downloaded Linux manjaro-xfce-17.0.5-stable-x86_64, but It doesn’t allow me to install it on my pc. I have used the latest “Rufus 2.17” but whatever I do it doesn’t work. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Was set to DD mode ?

Hi again, don’t know if you have empty dvd’s to which you can burn the iso file and use that instead of creating a bootable USB stick. I never used Rufus so I can’t help you with that. When I started Linux I used CD’s and later on DVD’s. When I was full into Linux I could use some Linux tool to create a stick.
Maybe @bogdancovaciu helps you with it.

No it was set to “ISO”, but with all the 3 options I will get the same error message. Actually I do feel for installing Linux Manjaro in a more easy way, but I can’t figure out which way? I don’t know how to convert or extract that Linux Manjaro installation file.

Unfortunately I can’t use CD’s/DVD’s for that MSI Windbox DC 111 small form factor pc. It doesn’t have a DVD drive.

To make things more clear, I have made a screen shot from the image file “Linux Manjaro”, but there is no way I can show the image. I would be very grateful if someone explains to me what to do with that file? ? ? With other words, how do you start to install a file like this? What kind of tool do I need to install, convert, or extract that file?

Anywhere else in this forum where I should comment about above mentioned matters? ? ? Or should I unsubscribe from this forum, because no one is capable to explain how to install Linux Manjaro? ? ? Any help would be highly appreciated…

Thanks everyone for the help and quick replies. With the death of a loved one, I’ve had to put Manjaro on hold but I expect to jump back into Manjaro as soon as I can.

Since UEFI controls/manages the installs no matter disk selected, I will try setting the Western Digital drive (Manjaro install target) in BIOS as the primary boot up drive in my next install attempt. This might be what is needed to get the installer to put all grub and linux boot up info. on that drive and leave the other drives untouched. If there is/was a way to leave the BIOS unchanged and get the installer to just put all grub and linux boot up info. on a specific drive (in UEFI mode) then that would be a better solution.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.