PC doesn't boot without installation media

I've installed Manjaro KDE cleanly on an UEFI PC with a SSD. The problem is that after installing it, which went flawlessly, it just doesn't boot after rebooting without the USB drive plugged in. If I plug it back in and reboot once again it will boot but veeery slowly, it takes like 5 minutes to boot but once it does it runs extremely well.

Could anyone help me with this please?

I'm no expert on boot issues but that kind of sounds like you might have installed grub to your live boot flashdrive by mistake.

1 Like

First, is your SSD internal drive?
Second.." it just doesn't boot after rebooting without the USB drive plugged in." Do you mean the install usb? If you mean that, I think you did not install in uefi or that your $esp is not in SSD.

Never mind, provide at Manjaro terminal

sudo parted -l
sudo blkid
cat /etc/fstab
test -d /sys/firmware/efi && echo UEFI || echo BIOS
efibootmgr -v

'parted -l' --> small 'L', not 'one' ; information of all disks, do not omit, do not truncate.
Of course do not modify (Some have :astonished:)

@petsam, you may need to look for another partner.
But if they fix intel-ucode (to kernel) and prevent uefi installation to msdos, you and I can retire.
As they say, the best government is a boring government, the best OS is a boring one.

2 Likes

Yes, it is an internal SSD. I don't know how to format the text so it looks good but here is the result of all those commands.

sudo parted -l
Model: ATA KINGSTON SA400S3 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 120GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End    Size   File system  Name  Flags
 1      2097kB  317MB  315MB  fat32              boot, esp
 2      317MB   120GB  120GB  ext4

Model: TDKMedia Trans-It Drive (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 7732MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    Type     File system  Flags
 2      2096MB  2100MB  4194kB  primary               esp

[andrei@hyperion ~]$ sudo blkid
/dev/sda1: UUID="C8EE-5B4F" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="66e78eac-6c60-4b2b-8622-69caea8a02fe"
/dev/sda2: UUID="0e7a3ee9-6072-47d2-8152-1bf46713efde" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="18f3a82e-ab97-4e91-902f-080334a3ffa6"
/dev/sdb2: SEC_TYPE="msdos" LABEL_FATBOOT="MISO_EFI" LABEL="MISO_EFI" UUID="F464-EFAB" TYPE="vfat"
/dev/sdb1: UUID="2019-03-12-09-50-33-00" LABEL="M1804" TYPE="iso9660"
[andrei@hyperion ~]$ cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a device; this may
# be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices that works even if
# disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system>             <mount point>  <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>
UUID=C8EE-5B4F                            /boot/efi      vfat    defaults,noatime 0 2
UUID=0e7a3ee9-6072-47d2-8152-1bf46713efde /              ext4    defaults,noatime,discard 0 1
tmpfs                                     /tmp           tmpfs   defaults,noatime,mode=1777 0 0
[andrei@hyperion ~]$ test -d /sys/firmware/efi && echo UEFI || echo BIOS
UEFI
[andrei@hyperion ~]$ efibootmgr -v
BootCurrent: 0000
Timeout: 1 seconds
BootOrder: 0000,0001
Boot0000* Manjaro       HD(1,GPT,66e78eac-6c60-4b2b-8622-69caea8a02fe,0x1000,0x96000)/File(\EFI\Manjaro\grubx64.efi)
Boot0001* UEFI: TDKMediaTrans-It Drive PMAP     PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x14,0x0)/USB(8,0)/HD(1,MBR,0x0,0x3e78a0,0x2000)..BO

Important knowledge

Please select the text in the terminal
Paste the text into a the post
Select the newly pasted text in the post
Click the </> icon in the post toolbar

This creates nicely formatted text which is readable for other users after you.

(Text was copied from @fhdk)

Right, now at manjaro terminal, do these...

sudo cp /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/core.efi /boot/efi/EFI/boot/bootx64.efi
sudo efibootmgr -c -d /dev/sda -p 1 -L "manjaro" -l "\EFI\Manjaro\grubx64.efi"
sudo efibootmgr -b 0001 -B

First command, if error states /boot/efi/efi/boot directory not found, do

sudo mkdir /boot/efi/efi/boot

Repeat command.

Second command, if message states there is already aanother 'manjaro' entry, it is okay, don't worry about it. It will proceed on its own. Just to make sure you have the correct file in that entry.

Now provide again

efibootmgr -v
efibootmgr -v
BootCurrent: 0000
Timeout: 1 seconds
BootOrder: 0002,0000
Boot0000* Manjaro       HD(1,GPT,66e78eac-6c60-4b2b-8622-69caea8a02fe,0x1000,0x96000)/File(\EFI\Manjaro\grubx64.efi)
Boot0002* manjaro       HD(1,GPT,66e78eac-6c60-4b2b-8622-69caea8a02fe,0x1000,0x96000)/File(\EFI\Manjaro\grubx64.efi)

I got no error messaged from the first command nor the second one.

so the 6 million $ question.
can you boot now without usb?

1 Like

After 5 minutes of looking at a black screen, I think it's safe to say that it does not boot without the USB drive.

Okay, noted. Your computer may not be uefi BBS compliant.
Mostly msi, some acer and a few asus.
Now go to your computer setup (usually F2) and go deep into default, remove that

TDKMediaTrans-It Drive PMAP  

from its default and look for manjaro and set it as defualt.
In some uefi firmware, you may even need to set a password to do all these.
Take your time, you may have to go deep into bios-set up, set password and so on.

Oh let us know your computer make and model.
And probably I will be logged off when you reply.
But good luck.

1 Like

I've got an Asrock motherboard, Asrock H81M-VG4 R2.0 to be exact. I'm pretty sure Manjaro is set as the default option in the boot order as I booted into the USB drive for the installation by pressing F11 and going into the boot menu.

Yes, I remember there's a case for this.
Go to F2 again. and do all these things we talked about.
In your recent installation, it may have reset the ... settings.
If you can go to F11, and if manjaro is there, you should be able to boot using that F11 too, right?
The reason you are having trouble now is that all these need to be reset again.
I'll go search for Asrock in this forum now.

Just checked the UEFI, I have 2 instances of manjaro appearing in the boot order and the USB drive is the 3rd one so it should boot from either one of those 2 manjaro instances. However I have to log out now. I hope that we can solve this tomorrow.

Nope. The OP there just copied the wrong apostrophes (this forum text issue - fixed) into the grub-install command.

Got some progress. Now grub shows up when booting, it shows the option for manjaro but when trying to boot into manjaro it just takes me to a black screen and nothing happens.

What did you change to get this improvement?
On the black screen (no prompt ) can you switch TTY (Ctrl+Alt+F4), login and run some commands? Like

journalctl -b -p3
startx

Sorry, didn't see your reply. I've tried installing Manjaro Gnome, wiped my SSD, made a 512mb /boot/efi partition with boot and esp flags and a 110gb ext4 root partition. It installed with no problem and after rebooting it still does not boot without the USB drive installed. I'm literally ripping my hair out because I really like how fast Manjaro is but I can't get past basic things like booting into the OS...

Without the usb, when you start the computer, you only get to a black screen and nothing else?
If so, try again without the usb, at black screen, press 'esc' key. Keep tapping it. Do that for about 1 minute.

Let us know if the grub menu appears.
Whether that boots is another matter and we'll (meaning petsam) fix it differently.

1 Like