PC does not boot from Linux USB disk, but from a Windows disk

manjaro32

Which is beyond weird. A DVD should boot.

Maybe a redhat 6.0 cd is in order? :slightly_smiling_face:

You don’t have to go that far back :wink:

But it would be useful to find out whether the laptop is indeed incompatible with newer ISO formats.

This arises an interesting question: what if the OP pulled out the hdd of the laptop and installed manjaro on it from another system? Would the hdd boot once returned to the laptop?

It should be possible, but it would certainly require a few tweaks.
There are some reports here (IIRC) of people who changed their motherboard, but keeping the existing installation.

If everything is kept “minimal”, and free drivers are used, nothing should need tweaking.

Testing with another distro is very worth doing, e.g.

Perhaps try a boot loader utility such as plop, (I belive there are others as well).

Also, have you tested your boot images on another computer to make sure it is not your method of creation that is the issue.

If those are not the issue then maybe your selection of bios or uefi at boot is the root of your problem.

A Bios flash worked… CDs /DVDs are bootable but USB devices still won’t do that.

In my past i’ve seen some usb drives that weren’t bootable on older hardware. but ARE bootable on newer ones.

You could try creating a vfat flash drive (assuming Windows PE booted from USB) and use something like isolinux (oldskool)

Perhaps pxe boot an idea?

Remove the HDD, attach it to newer hardware that is capable of installing your linux distro and than screw it back?

very odd

does the hdd still have windows on it? you might have some nasty rootkits that can block booting other operating systems or rescue discs.

as others said, take out the hdd, and plug it in an external drive or laptop, and install manjaro on it
or plug in a hdd that already has manjaro installed

different suggestion, try and install Haiku OS, and see if that works on this laptop

tweak the bios some more, or replace it with libreboot or coreboot

I don’t think it’s odd.

Did the laptop ever booted usb sticks? Like I said before, in 2007 my vaio would recognize usb devices in bios but unable to boot from them (only for bios updates). I also remember having an asus laptop that would only boot from a USB pen if it had the Hdd flag set to true. It wouldn’t boot the flash disk as removable drive.

Hmm…

Maybe worth a try… Fire up Rufus on a windows system, insert the USB thumb drive, select it with Rufus and check it as hdd before using DD to copy the manjaro iso on it. Might do the trick?

https://forum.manjaro.org/t/which-os-were-you-using-before-manjaro/12324/407

For now, I’m switching to one of my older Windows operating systems and looking for someone to help me boot from the network.

First +1 on the comment that you can use 64 bit with that CPU. I have the same on my laptop and 64bit works fine.
Secondly when powering up are pressing F12 to get a Boot Menu? (Maybe a different key on your laptop)serveimage