Password not working?

Hey there. Still a relatively new Linux user, so sorry if I happen to be missing anything important off the bat.

Basically what it says in the title. I’ve set things up so root and user passwords are the same, and it logs in automatically. So I’m able to reboot my PC just fine. But the minute anything asks for my password, be it pamac, something in terminal, what have you… nothing works. And yes, I’m 100% sure I’m typing it correctly. Caps Lock is off, etc etc.

I already searched the forum, but anything I saw (like some su trickery) ends up asking me for a password. Which, you guessed it, has me hitting a wall.

Let me know of anything I may be able to provide, and thanks in advance!

in aterminal, run:
groups

it should return a few system user groups, one named “wheel” among them

If it’s not there we have the probable cause …

You can also run:
history

and look at what commands you recently ran, to perhaps remind you what you did

Thanks. This is what groups gives me:
sys network power sambashare libvirt lp wheel autologin fabiof

history doesn’t return anything weird. Mostly some stuff I tried from looking up the problem in the forum along with stuff I was doing well before this started to happen.

Then I’m afraid I cannot help further - issues similar to this have come up multiple times recently but either I don’t remember what the fix was or the affected people did not bother to look for the problem, threw in the towel and either reinstalled or restored from backup.
… nothing useful that I learned from these interactions :man_shrugging:

I have absolutely NO idea what could be wrong.

However, you could try resetting the password from a chroot environment. It sounds challenging and intimidating to a new user, such as yourself, but the Manjaro team has done an excellent job of making it relatively painless. Speak up if you want to give it a go and see what happens.

That’s me, right there.

That was what was asked for :slight_smile:

But you did not share it, to allow others to try to help :man_shrugging:

How to boot from USB into live Manjaro (for repair):

1 Like

Welp, now I feel like a blithering idiot.

No you weren’t, ye dingus! Turns out this other system I got has a password that starts with the same letter, but there it’s upper case, and I got the wires crossed. Sorry for the waste of time on everyone, I was getting ready to try the chroot thing and all.

The lesson here is “sleep’s important”, I suppose.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.