Password MishMash

I have created a newbie password mishmash. At installation I thought I set a System PW and a different Admin PW. Now neither is accepted for authentication for although the System does unlock keyring. I have no idea what I may have done.

For example, when I try to install software, neither PW is accepted for authentication. Likewise, neither is accepted to use su in the terminal.

In BIOS I removed Admin and System PWs but that didn’t resolve the problem.

Do I need to do a fresh install or is there a way to fix this self-inflicted mess? Thank you.

BIOS will not affect your linux passwords and such. Users and passwords are mostly a userspace construct in Unix, that code isn’t even a part of the kernel. If you can’t login all, you could use a live disk, mount and chroot into your installation to reset those passwords (see How to save your Manjaro installation when it breaks).

John the ripper may be able to recover your passwords from a live disk/usb, haven’t used for ages, so cannot remember.

I assume you are using a US or UK keyboard? Not a French layout??? (as you are in Canada).

I can login (I’m here now) because I had set automatic login and I’m not challenged for a PW.

@xircon: US keyboard.

Sorry, I should have mentioned at the top Manjaro 17.1.7 with Budgie 10.4

Found this. Not sure if it is helpful or not but can’t hurt.

“f you are certain that you are in fact using the correct password, then you may have been locked out. To check if your account is locked, open up the terminal and enter “passwd -S [user name]”. This should present you with some numbers and letters, a date and your user name. At the end of this line, check to see if it says “(Password locked.)”. You can unlock an account by running “passwd -u” in the terminal.”

If your user is a sudoer, you can do:

sudo passwd $(whoami)

@Hipster:

[drew@drew-pc ~]$ passwd -S drew
drew P 04/09/2018 0 99999 7 -1
[drew@drew-pc ~]$

Means it’s not locked. So that won’t help.

@SamwiseFilmore:

[drew@drew-pc ~]$ sudo passwd $drew
[sudo] password for drew:

Just out of curiosity what about ‘manjaro’?

Duh, I knew that would happen. I can think, clearly :wink:

Anyway, I think the only way to fix it would be to boot from your USB and chroot into the install, and run sudo passwd drew from the chroot. See that link I provided.

@Hipster: entered manjaro “Authentication failed”

@SamwiseFilmore: Thanks. There’s some difference of opinion in that link so it will take me some time to see what works for my issue. I’ll report back.

Have a look at method 2 in this link.

Never tried it myself.

@Hipster This didn’t exactly mesh with what came up on my display so I was reluctant to mess with it not knowing what I was doing. For instance, for some reason was faced with two identical blocks of text. The article refers to entering some text after the letters “ro” in a line. I only have “rw”. Don’t know if that’s significant or not.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

This one should do it. It’s for arch.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Reset_root_password

Are you 100% sure that it is not a problem linked to keyboard layout (either now or when you have set up the passwords)?
Did you try to use the same password but as if it was in a different layout? For example, if French keyboard layout is possible and your password is “password1”, try “pqsszord!”
One never knows.
Cheers,

Yeh, my thoughts initially, but op said US k/b. But what did the installer think…

@d7rk: No, it’s definitely the US English keyboard layout and that’s what I specified when installing. And it did work fine right after installing. I, the blind, incorrigible tinkerer, broke something after the fact.

I’ll try Hipster’s latest suggestion today, although the technical writing in that wiki is less than precise. Look at point #1 : select the “appropriate boot entry” - what’s appropriate or inappropriate?

Also in point #1: press E to edit. Edit how? Insert what? Delete what?

He then moves on to point #2 which is another edit, without explaining the first edit.

I guess I’ll figure out the intended meaning by trial and error.