Partitioning - Manjaro XFCE

Hi, sorry for late reply, working hours…

I am on XFCE and I don’t have any problems, my laptop (its from 2009) has 8GiB ram (did upgrade), but never uses more than 3.
Amm… like Aragorn said

• SSD: 512 MiB flag/boot/efi ( partition → FAT32) + the rest for / (ext4)
  • HDD: 12 GiB swap partition + the rest as /home (ext4)

If you experience unresponsive, delays, hanging, freezing, etc… you go with KDE Plasma.

Post what you did and was it successful.

1 Like

Hi there!
I manage to fully install Manjaro with that given partition option.
Here’s what happened:
-Sometimes, my laptop completely freezes out of nowhere, forcing my to force shutdown.
-Touchpad doesn’t work because of delays, and sometimes it just freezes, then I would repeatedly move my finger in the touchpad because I’m very annoyed (Yes, I did enable the “Tap touchpad to click” option)
But as of now, There’s only little of this said issues. Sometimes it freezes or hangs then goes back to normal. It’s still there, though not as bad as from what I experienced early on. It’s manageable for me and I really wanna try out XFCE. So, given all of this issues, I still wanna give XFCE a shot.

What kernel are you running ?? Maybe you can try different kernel. uname -r will tell you the kernel.
Its easy to change kernels. You go to settingsmanjaro settings managerkernels and you will see a list of kernels. Best bet would be to go with 5.10.63 LTS or 5.4.144-1.

After it installs you reboot and press Shift or Esc to go to Grub menu and from there you select the new kernel and see if it works with no problems.

I mean you can try to set things up now, so that you can work later without problems.

Cheers… and Welcome to Manjaro :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m experiencing the severe issues again and it’s worrying me. Maybe XFCE isn’t for me. Though I’m thinking that KDE would be useless for me as I’m not really customization, I just like the minimalistic style of XFCE.

Now I’m currently downloading Manjaro KDE Plasma (Minimal). If things doesn’t get any good, I’m gonna try KDE out. I tried KDE sometime ago but didn’t really install it as my school projects are still in my Windows 10. But I didn’t have any of this issues in XFCE in KDE back then, don’t know why.

I’mma try what you said tomorrow as it’s also getting very late here (It’s 2 in the evening here)

Hello there!
I’m currently downloading the said Kernel you give and I also have KDE downloaded if things are still not resolved.
Anyways, I’ll be updating you once it’s installed.

Update: By installing the said Kernel, all of the issues where fix, thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.