Partially updated my manjaro now it's not booting

I ran out of data today and didn’t remember it partially updated now it stuck not even booting
WHAT TO DO?

I have manjaro on usb

If you have enough data available, you can rerun the update from a chroot environment. If not, I suspect you’ll have to reinstall Manjaro and wait for data to become available before updating again.

Edit:

And this :point_up: is another reason backups are important. If you have backups, simply restore. If not, then use this opportunity to learn to keep backups.

1 Like

How can I do it? I’ll have data tomorrow

Then you’ll have to chroot in, and re-run the update from there.

To enter a chroot environment

1. Ensure you’ve got a relatively new ISO or at least one with a still supported LTS kernel.

2. Write/copy/dd the ISO to a USB thumb drive.

3. When done, boot with the above mentioned USB thumb drive into the live environment.

4. Once booted, open a terminal and enter the following command to enter the chroot environment:

manjaro-chroot -a

If you have more than one Linux installation, select the correct one to use from the list provided.

If sucessfully done, you should now be in the chroot environment.

But, be careful, as you’re now in an actual root environment on your computer, so any changes you make will persist after a restart and can cause damage.

From the chroot environment, run a complete update, so your system syncs again:

pamac upgrade && pamac upgrade --aur --devel || echo -e '\033[0;91mThere was an error upgrading the system. AUR packages not upgraded.\e[0m'

This will update your system and ONLY if that was successful update any AUR packages.

a Reminder: While use of the AUR is possible, it’s neither recommended nor supported.

I recommend pamac instead of pacman, especially for newcomers as pamac was developed by Manajaro (developers) for Manjaro and just takes care of more things than pacman.

Thank you I’ll try that

1 Like

To be on the safe side with updates and the amount of data that are going to be downloaded
next time you run the update like this:
sudo pacman -Syuw
This will only download everything, but not install it yet.

If everything has safely arrived
(and your quota wasn’t exceeded by it, interrupting the download process)
you run the actual update:
sudo pacman -Syu
The already downloaded packages will be used then.

I often do this because of a slow connection - I first have it all downloaded, then come back and install it.

But for now, in the current situation, you’ll have to chroot to re-run and finish the update.

Although:
the actual update process should not have even started when not everything was there.
You’d have to have actively told pacman to continue anyway, even though packages where missing/could not be downloaded due to your quota being exceeded.

4 Likes

To be clear this will only download it

And this will install downloaded package, right?

1 Like

Indeed. Note the w in the arguments…

From the man page:

-w, --downloadonly
Retrieve all packages from the server, but do not install/upgrade
anything.
1 Like

indeed!

see what @Mirdarthos said

the -w switch to the pacman command
it means:
download only

from man pacman:

Upgrade Options (apply to -S and -U)

-w, --downloadonly

2 Likes

Exuse my curiosity but would it be possible if I could use this in chroot too? I have around 1.2gb left on my mobile and I could use the rest from my friends phone

yes - of course

Make sure you also clean out your package cache. Inside the chroot, run… :arrow_down:

paccache -rvk0

It may not free up a lot of space, but I reckon it’ll buy you a couple more GiB. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Thank you everyone y’all been great help

1 Like

These two post were so helpful

1 Like

I still dont understand this.
What more things does it take care of?

Sadly, I don’t remember right now. But I do remember PhilM encouraging users to use pamac instead of pacman for updates in the announcement thread. I can’t find it now, because I think it was before the forum crash, and is lost. It boiled down to using pamac, it requires less human intervention. And I also saw mention of someone saying the same in the latest update announcement thread.

Yes, OK, sure. It’s not pacman. But even pacman had to start somewhere. And there’s only one way for it to become better…

In my opinion, based on my experience, pacman can be intimidating at first. Especially for newcomers. And pamac is less so.

A mistake I’m sure he has already come to sorely regret by now. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.