Partial update; stuck at blinking cursor

I may be out of luck, but maybe someone can help.

I was doing the first update in a month and my raspberry pi 4 froze about 10% into installing packages. I waited an hour, but eventually power cycled it. I was able to remove the pacman lock file and do a -Syyuu, but I am still booting into a black screen with a blinking cursor. I can log in on tty2 though.

I suspected a sddm issue, and found this in systemctl
Failed to read display number from pipe

poking around in logfiles I found this in the Xorg.0.log
Failed to load module 'fbdev' (module does not exist, 0)"

I’ve tried changing between the kms and fkms drivers, and I tried removing my line “max_framebuffers=1” but no luck. I run a dual-boot setup, so maybe there was a change in one of the other files in /boot that is causing the issue?

Look in /var/log/pacman.log to find out what/where the error occurred.
Then you can remove from the cache and reinstall the affected packages.

That looked promising. It looks like the last package being installed before the hang was libinput.

I tried ‘pacman -Scc’ to clear the cache and then ‘pacman -S libinput’ but got a bunch of file exists in filesystem errors, so I tried again adding --overwrite “*”, and it completed (though with a couple of notices of some files being empty or truncated).

Unfortunately after a reboot I am still stuck at a blinking cursor

Boot the Manjaro USB stick and chroot into the system.
Then try to complete the update.

I was able to finish applying all the updates, and this is the situation I’m in now. I’m going to guess that maybe some post-install script for one of the first few packages that installed before the crash never got done. If the log had an entry that looked like what they show in the terminal listing every package to be upgraded, maybe I could try forcing it to reinstall every package, and maybe that would be a way to recover from a partial update?

Thanks everyone, but at this point its probably easiest to just backup my home directory and a few config files and copy the latest raspberry pi 4 image over the old install.

sudo pacman -Syu $(pacman -Qqn)

That would be all of them … and you may encounter and need to fix an error or two like last time.