Panfrost for Bifrost GPUs - Big improvements

Why do you expect it not to work? Does 5.10 introduce something that is suspected to break it? People at the Odroid forum report that 5.10rc is running on the N2.

Iā€™ve read 5.10 is a big change for arm, and aml sbc is not in the list of future works for Linux because this company does not help at all.

Odroid seems to have its own boot.

I read balbes saying that aml is not supportive and that was the reason for him to quit Armbian support for aml. I did not know that other people are quitting aml support as well. Would be too bad!

This is true but that doesnā€™t mean aml will not be supported, baylibre team is working for amlogic boards only so they will be supporting the devices upstream.

Yes it does not boot with the old method as text offset patch was remove which makes the device not boot at all but I have asked in the mailing list for the alternative and they said we can still make it to boot using legacy linux boot method which we still have to try while it does boot fine for libreelec so all is good at upstream level nothing to worry about.

Yes he is not supporting the new devices but he still supports the existing devices that he have. He is a good man and he will do good to the community by supporting those devices which he have atleast.

I donā€™t think amlogic device will be dropped completely coz there is a huge opportunity for linux distro on amlogic boards even though amlogic doesnā€™t help but I think they have third party contributors so that is indirectly the same thing as supporting directly.

Letā€™s hope for the best for all Linux community.

Latest Armbian TV has not amlogic entry in extlinux

Mesa-Git is now at 21.0.0 in unstable branch.
Running it now on my Odroid N2 and itā€™s doing fairly well. I can play SuperTuxKart at about 10-14 FPS, which is not bad for such an early version of the driver.

1 Like

Installing kernel 5.9.6 has made panfrost come back. Problem is that mesa-git has broken glx and have not glxinfo to know. Inxy - G gives panfrost driver, but Iā€™m not sure about it.

Sounds like you are using mesa-git from testing branch. The current one in testing branch is broken yes.
The one in Unstable branch works.

I have install stable linux kernel 5.9.6-1 and mesa 20.2.1-1 is pre-installed on Beelink GT King Pro. ā€œglxinfo -Bā€

jfl@GTKPro ~]$ glxinfo -B
bash: glxinfo: command not found

Was trying to check whether Panfrost is working. With linux kernel 5.9.6 and and mesa 20.2.1-1 installed is there any else need to be done or installed to enable Panfrost?

Also wanted to improve Firefox Video playback support. Thank you.

Install mesa-demos to get info about GPU drivers with glxinfo commands.

Is the Beelink GT King Pro rk3399 based or G12B based?
If itā€™s rkk3399 based, the kernel and mesa you have installed has support for Panfrost on your GPU.
If itā€™s G12B based, you need to switch out mesa with mesa-git to get Panfrost activated, but it does not yet support Plasma acceleration.

GT King Pro uses Amlogic S922X-H (G12B based). DE is Xfce.

In the Stable Branch the current mesa-git 20.3.0_devel.130834.10d44fec2dd-1. Which is a better option, install the stable branch mesa-git 20.3.0 or follow TheMojoMan suggestion:
Add /etc/pacman.conf

[archlinuxdroid]
SigLevel = Optional
Server = http://archlinuxdroid.tk/archlinuxdroid/aarch64

and install the mesa-arm-git?

Edit: FYI, GT King Pro do encounter Kernel Panic issue as is now but reasonably useable on linux kernel 5.9.6-1 or linux-vim kernel 5.9.0-1 or 5.9.0-2 thus far.

Ah, I thought it was at 21.0.0.
Try installing mesa-git from testing branch instead then.

sudo pacman -U http://manjaro.moson.eu/arm-testing/extra/aarch64/mesa-git-21.0.0_devel.131103.035e21e7802-1-aarch64.pkg.tar.xz

Thatā€™s what I use on my Odroid N2 and it has Panfrost active.

Thank will install the latest mesa-git-21.0.0

Edit:

[jfl@GTKPro ~]$ sudo pacman -U http://manjaro.moson.eu/arm-testing/extra/aarch64/mesa-git-21.0.0_devel.131103.035e21e7802-1-aarch64.pkg.tar.xz
[sudo] password for jfl:
mesa-git-21.0.0_ā€¦ 12.7 MiB 626 KiB/s 00:21 [######################] 100%
mesa-git-21.0.0_ā€¦ 310.0 B 0.00 B/s 00:00 [######################] 100%
loading packagesā€¦
resolving dependenciesā€¦
looking for conflicting packagesā€¦
:: mesa-git and mesa are in conflict. Remove mesa? [y/N] y

Packages (3) libclc-0.2.0+589+9aa6f35-2 mesa-20.2.1-1 [removal]
mesa-git-21.0.0_devel.131103.035e21e7802-1

Total Download Size: 6.32 MiB
Total Installed Size: 112.41 MiB
Net Upgrade Size: 59.83 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packagesā€¦
libclc-0.2.0+589ā€¦ 6.3 MiB 422 KiB/s 00:15 [######################] 100%
(2/2) checking keys in keyring [######################] 100%
(1/2) checking package integrity [######################] 100%
(1/2) loading package files [######################] 100%
(2/2) checking for file conflicts [######################] 100%
(3/3) checking available disk space [######################] 100%
:: Processing package changesā€¦
(1/1) removing mesa [######################] 100%
(1/2) installing libclc [######################] 100%
(2/2) installing mesa-git [######################] 100%
Optional dependencies for mesa-git
opengl-man-pages: for the OpenGL API man pages
:: Running post-transaction hooksā€¦
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdateā€¦

[jfl@GTKPro ~]$ glxinfo -B
name of display: :0.0
libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open swrast: libLLVM-11.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (search paths /usr/lib/dri)
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
X Error of failed request: GLXBadContext
Major opcode of failed request: 151 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 6 (X_GLXIsDirect)
Serial number of failed request: 53
Current serial number in output stream: 52

I was afraid of this. The package is built against LLVM11, so you will have to either switch to testing branch and update or wait until the next stable update.

Does Panfros work on mesa-git-20.3 with linux kernel 5.9.6-1? Should I downgrade to mesa-git-20.3? According to Spikerguy, linux-vim kernel 5.9.8 is not stable with Panfrost.

It should work, if the mesa-git commit is new enough. It was introduced pretty late into the 20.3 cycle.

You can try the mesa-git 20.3 from stable branch, but Iā€™m not sure it enables Panfrost.

Do I have to remove mesa-git-21.0.0 first. In the Package Manager i do not see mesa-git-20.3 anymore. Only mesa-git-21.0.0

You can do sudo pacman -Syuu and it will downgrade the packages you have installed, to match the ones in the repo.

Thanks. Downgrading is easy but ā€œglxinfo -Bā€ return error. I have installed mesa-demo earlier.

[jfl@GTKPro ~]$ sudo pacman -Syuu
[sudo] password for jfl:
:: Synchronizing package databasesā€¦
core is up to date
extra is up to date
community is up to date
:: Starting full system upgradeā€¦
warning: mesa-git: downgrading from version 21.0.0_devel.131103.035e21e7802-1 to version 20.3.0_devel.130834.10d44fec2dd-1
resolving dependenciesā€¦
looking for conflicting packagesā€¦

Packages (1) mesa-git-20.3.0_devel.130834.10d44fec2dd-1

Total Download Size: 12.64 MiB
Total Installed Size: 56.03 MiB
Net Upgrade Size: -0.08 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
:: Retrieving packagesā€¦
mesa-git-20.3.0_ā€¦ 12.6 MiB 685 KiB/s 00:19 [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking keys in keyring [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity [######################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts [######################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space [######################] 100%
:: Processing package changesā€¦
(1/1) downgrading mesa-git [######################] 100%
:: Running post-transaction hooksā€¦
(1/1) Arming ConditionNeedsUpdateā€¦

[jfl@GTKPro ~]$ glxinfo -B
name of display: :0.0
Error: couldnā€™t find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig

[jfl@GTKPro ~]$

Yeah, so the mesa-git in stable branch is the ā€œbrokenā€ one that was in testing earlier.

So you either have to wait for the next stable update, or switch branch to testing. :slight_smile: