Panel disappeared after removing systemsettings

Yesterday I changed appearance through System Settings → Appearance. Downloaded some themes and some other related stuff. After a while I couldn’t open System Settings, so I removed systemsettings package and installed it again. After reboot my bottom panel(the one with menu etc) dissapeared and also I can no longer open systemsettings5 in console(other programs seem to work through console).

Output of running systemsettings5 file:///usr/share/kpackage/genericqml/org.kde.systemsettings.sidebar/contents/ui - Pastebin.com

You probably broke your system, removing one of its core components and everything requiring it. See this thread here this is the same problem… Manjaro after update error Problem being user removing core components.

Who knew it was that important :slight_smile:

Who knows how to change theme via console? Maybe this will help. Or removing the most recent installed themes and related stuff. Appearance factory reset? I am pretty sure I downloaded broken theme or something, cause I couldn’t open System Settings way before removing it. I don’t know where this stuff is located.

Changing theme will not bring the panel back.

You can try this:

cp -r /etc/skel/* ~./

Which will copy all the defaults used in the edition you installed, to your home folder.

Then reboot for it to take effect.

1 Like

Interesting. How about doing similar thing with my backup? I have not so fresh backup of my entire disk(last backup December last year). Will it be better to do this with backup?(in terms of losing configs).

Depends on how much customizations you have done?

If you have changed quite a bit from default, it might be better to transfer from your backup.

Do you have plasma-desktop installed? By uninstalling systemsettings you most likely also uninstalled plasma-desktop since it depends on systemsettings.

It seems so:
pacman -Qi plasma-desktop
Name : plasma-desktop
Version : 5.21.4-1
Description : KDE Plasma Desktop
Architecture : x86_64
URL : Plasma - KDE Community
Licenses : LGPL
Groups : plasma
Provides : None
Depends On : gawk polkit-kde-agent libxkbfile kmenuedit systemsettings baloo accountsservice
Optional Deps : plasma-nm: Network manager applet [installed]
powerdevil: power management, suspend and hibernate support [installed]
kscreen: screen management [installed]
ibus: kimpanel IBUS support
scim: kimpanel SCIM support
kaccounts-integration: OpenDesktop integration plugin [installed]
packagekit-qt5: to install new krunner plugins
Required By : None
Optional For : None
Conflicts With : None
Replaces : user-manager knetattach
Installed Size : 32.45 MiB
Packager : Antonio Rojas arojas@archlinux.org
Build Date : Tue 06 Apr 2021 08:52:35 PM +07
Install Date : Tue 04 May 2021 12:50:57 PM +07
Install Reason : Installed as a dependency for another package
Install Script : No
Validated By : Signature

Run manjaro-settings-manager and add another user account, then log in. Does the issue occur for the new user?

The issue does not appear under new user. Everything looks like fresh install. System Setting works there as well as panel.

Something went wrong with your user configuration files.
Do other Plasma apps work (Dolphin, Konsole, etc.)?

Also try launching System Settings with the default theme:

systemsettings5 --style=Breeze
1 Like

Dolphin works, thought it has some suspicious output:

qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 5 (BadAtom), sequence: 393, resource id: 0, major code: 20 (GetProperty), minor code: 0
window == 0 passed.
qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 152 (Unknown), sequence: 5074, resource id: 0, major code: 143 (Unknown), minor code: 2
qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 152 (Unknown), sequence: 5081, resource id: 0, major code: 143 (Unknown), minor code: 2
which: no kdesudo in (/home/shgr/.local/bin:/home/shgr/.config/nvm/14.15.1/bin:/home/shgr/.miniconda3/condabin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/bin/site_perl:/usr/bin/vendor_perl:/usr/bin/core_perl)
qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 5 (BadAtom), sequence: 621, resource id: 0, major code: 20 (GetProperty), minor code: 0

Konsole works:

qt.qpa.xcb: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 5 (BadAtom), sequence: 515, resource id: 0, major code: 20 (GetProperty), minor code: 0

Yakuake works

Lol, this way it works!

Good. Now revert your theme settings and reboot.

Just rebooting didn’t bring back my panel. Now I created new default panel(didn’t think of it earlier). Thinking of customizing like the old one.

Can you open System Settings from application launcher (or just systemsettings5 without arguments) now?

Yes. Both work. Thank you. I still probably will follow the advice of Strit and copy settings from my backup, who knows what other configs are lost…

Ok, I finally restored my old panel without using the command suggested by @Strit (so scary).

What I did:
Renamed all files in ~/.config/ starting with plasma- to plasma-replaceaccording-OLD, and then copied all files from my backup starting with plasma- (plasma-localerc, plasma-nm, plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc, plasma.emojierrc, plasmanotifyrc, plasmarc, plasmashellrc) to ~/.config/ and then restarted. It was important for me to have it back since I had Sticky Notes widgets with useful information in them.
Try it on your own risk!

If you ever come across the same issue and you are also noob as I am don’t install those packages(plasma-desktop etc. as dependencies to systemsettings) as after system upgrade they’ll become orphans and after you delete orphans the panel disappears again :slight_smile: