Pamac's "Software Mode"?

That’s @guinux.

1 Like

Now lets try that in

• French:
    Afficher Uniquement les Applications

If you’re arguing that there is no space, I think the menu would adapt anyway.

That could still work in French without using the longest form you can find, with that translation:

N'afficher que les Applications

which is not longer (exactly same length actually) as what is already in the menu:

Actualiser les bases de données

1 Like

This is just basic UI design, simple as default advanced features under settings, not the other way around,It is normal that you and some don’t know how to use Pamac, any software needs to be learned to be used efficiently.

Thanks. Yes, I was never saying to change the default just to swith the toggle around. So you call it an Advanced Mode too, as per my first reply on this thread.

That’s going to be helpful for @guinux in making his final choice on how he wants to proceed :slight_smile:

It seems he has three sane options

• Advanced Mode (default off)

• Only Show Apps (default on)

• Detailed View (default off)

Thanks @omano for the more succinct french translation!!

Got here from Pamac: lost tabs inside “preferences”. Read through this topic.

One way to learn any software, is through tooltips. You learn as you are actively engaged in using the software, versus reading the man page or other documentation (which is helpful in a different way).

Also, I did a site search at (site:wiki.manjaro.org “software mode”) and didn’t get any hits. The only places it appears is in this forum and gitlab – asking what is “Software Mode:slight_smile:

1 Like

I also landed here because I had no idea what this setting was supposed to be about.

I would prefer “Only Show Applications/Software” but if length is really an issue “only show apps” should work even in french, although I kind of despise the word “app”

I also never opened that menu before. I really do think a filter should be more visible, i.e. in the same bar where the sorting is. There is enough space for a “Applications only” filter, and also another filter where you’d be able to deselect repositories would be nice. You can sort by repository, but not by relevance at the same time. Maybe I want the most relevant results from official repositories only (pretty common use case), I’d have to go into the settings, untick AUR, and later activate it again. That’s inconvenient.

I… I must also admit that I have never even reacted to that button, realized NOW that it even exists. :open_mouth:

I guess it’s actually a good feature for ppl who only use the gui tbh. But if I, someone who loves to tinker never even seen it, maybe it should be changed somehow. I might even argue it should be enabled by default (then 90% would be confused and then you have to remove it again xD) to teach the community about it’s existence. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I also could not understand what that means. Maybe “Software Store simple mode” will be more appropriate. But please do not turn it on by default. I hated it on Ubuntu so i did all through synaptic or console.

It’s actually pretty simple. Pamac is a package manager, so by default it shows all packages (no filters enabled). Software Mode shows only applications without libraries, language packs etc. (filters enabled).

I’m guessing it’s named like this because it’s short. “Software Store simple mode” is very long name, so it will make pop up menu twice wide.

Just thought. Maybe instead of changing labels just add Help button linked to Manjaro wiki article, or documentation website where most of the options in Pamac will be covered in a way that someone whom first time installed Linux will be able to understand.

1 Like

I get it now after i read it in the forum :slight_smile: But when i saw it for the first time i had no clue.
4 Words is long, but maybe “Software Store mode” or “Appstore mode”(if that is allowed by the Fruit lawyers…) or even “Simplified mode”.

p.s. Yes, a small tooltip or ? button that links to help would solve the problem but i suspect it will be far more complicated than just renaming it.

1 Like

Pretty much everything pamac installs is by definition ‘software’ - thats where the confusion comes from.
Some library, helper extension, codec, that some other package may need but is not a full application itself? Still software.
The name is bad.

1 Like

Sounds good to me.

Adding tooltips is pretty easy in GTK. I think it would be less headache than renaming label, id and translation.

It would be intuitive to call it “Simple Mode” vs “Advanced Mode”, because “Software Mode” has no meaning at all.

Where is the “noob mode” alternative? /joking.

Second attempt at making a poll for this, cause as Yochanan pointed out multiple choice was not very clever. I tried to summarize the suggestions so far:

What do you think of renaming the “software mode” in Add/remove programs (pamac) for more clarity?
  • Leave it as it is - Software mode on / off
  • Basic mode / Advanced mode
  • Simple mode / Advanced mode
  • Basic view / Detailed view
  • Show Apps only / Show everything
  • Show Apps only / Show all packages
  • Show Apps only / Show supplementary packages
0 voters

And the grammar police please forgive me - i have no idea if “only show apps” or “show apps only” or “show only apps” is the correct one here.

@bedna please vote again for the view.

I would say: Simple viewEinfache Ansicht (German) fits it most. There would be just that and you can enable it.

Let’s at least see the top 2-3 options and then the manjaro team can still make the final decision if it will be mode or view. At least we got rid of the word “software” And let’s concentrate on the English for know.

I actually use it from time to time when searching for GUI apps, I find it quite handy.