Pamac's new look

The forum is not a good place to report issues. Here is a better one :shushing_face:

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s why for mobile it would be preferable to create new fork adapted for it and let desktop version walk its path. Most popular apps (from Adobe, Microsoft,…) have many version each one adapted for a type of device or screen size, and convergence never succeeded with Microsoft.

Cool, but the question is who would do that? If you know how to clone guinux, I guess he will be happy to create whole team of guinux’s. Or open Vala class and teach as how to program it. At that point his rather don’t know where to put his hands.

4 Likes

IMHO that is a bad argumentation, it is plenty of fallacies

That is funny on a open-source project

You know what is even funnier? Breaking apps.

On fixed releases it have sens because there is more time to catch with new version, but on rolling release when gtk3-nocsd or gtk3-classic are hobby projects and updates depends on developers spare time. Plus not only Manjaro users use Pamac. There are plenty Arch based distros which have updates faster than Stable brach, which can cause issues.
If you’re an experienced user, and you know what you’re doing and know how to help to fix issues, cool no problem. But for the majority of average users or newbie once will be better to not touch it.

Hi !
I dunno what happened on my stable, but I’ve had an upgrade to new version & UI untill I used it this morning… to see it reverted to previous version ! :laughing:

What I can say on the glimpse I had on new UI is that it’s simple, intuitive & neat.

Obviously, the main risk when changing an UI is that some people do rattle.

The mere fact of being used to an obsolete UI (and being trained to it’s inefficiencies) doesn’t make it an immutable stuff.

btw : I’ve seen people used tu w$ 8 or to Unity !

I am on Stable Branch and I wanted to try the new Pamac.

I re-enabled CSD (uninstalled gtk3-classic because I’ve see double title bar), and maybe due to the fact that since Xfce 4.16 there is a better integration of CSD, Pamac, at least by a quick test, look almost fine here (I’m now using Vertex Maia Dark theme).

ATM I agree with the following ticket on Gitlab:

If I will found other issue I’ll report them on Gitlab.

I need some explanation about what is the idea behind Software Mode. Name suggest that it will show only programs. But it’s actually changing Pamac to simplified version or something like Software Boutique. For example, when Software Mode is enabled Advanced tab in Preferences menu is hidden, in Installed tab side panel is hidden (type in search or scroll). While updating the system there is only progress bar with information of what is going on. To see update process, user need to disable SM (no terminal output/arrow button). From cool things, system related packages are grouped, and if you want to see what will be updated, just click on it and a menu pops up. In Browse tab only Categories are displayed.

I don’t know, maybe I misunderstand Software Mode term, or it needs to be named to something more accurate. Will be pity if instead of “Hey, did you see software mode in Pamac?” we will read comments like “I recommend you to not use Software Mode ever because it butcher main functionalities, and you don’t have control on nothing (or something that kind but less pleasant)”. A lot of work for nothing if users stop to use it.

I also have some concerns about update process in Software mode. Because of no terminal output, there is no information about warnings, pacnew files etc. Which can turn into “happy” time after update.

I’ve forgotten that SM is enabled, and I’ve updated the system and without any reflection restarted it by hitting button in pop up dialog :rofl: Maybe it is possible to disable SM while updating, I’ll check next time (Unstable branch (VM), Pamac 10.1.2-2).

2 Likes

Software mode is the make Pamac restricted mode. More or less what you see on mobile phones and Gnome Software also. Disable all expert modes and only list software which is listed in appstream data. Everything else is known as System updates. Also it makes sense to use flatpak and snaps in that mode. Simply put, we restrict the usability to a minimum so noobs don’t break the system.

5 Likes

Thanks for explanation, I have few questions but I think I can figure it out while using Pamac, so I don’t take your time… for now :rofl: Have a good day Philip :slight_smile:

So, quite interesting thread to follow!.. You made my day, even though I remain on the older Pamac so nothing really first hand to comment.

Let me to just add my 2 cents for the discussion, perhaps from another perspective. When I first used Pamac last December, I immediately reminded what has been my favorite package manager back in the day when the app stores were not there or they were too basic and or too buggy, it was Synaptic package manager on Ubuntu/Mint. So, Pamac simply seemed to me like such an up to date Synaptic with quite a simpler GUI and some added contemporary goodies. And that was great!.. It simply does it job like back in the day good Synaptic did!..

Surely as @philm says, adaptive apps are coming!.. Even those “traditionalists” on Linux Mint are understanding that once they have changed from their own media player with Celluloid that uses CSD and adaptive screen technologies by default. The problem might to be what apps will come well with adaptive implementations and what apps won’t, and that lies on the apps “complexity” and that ultimately lies on what the apps are meant to do. One thing is a single task oriented app, other thing is a multi task one. Pamac being single task oriented, it is among the ones that will work great on adaptive app environment, LiberOffice or Blender might to be another story because they aren’t exactly multi platform, being mostly a classical desktop sort of thing… I can see myself using the new version. After all Pamac is not a place where I spend too much time, just the needed time to add some apps at installation day and for the usual updates.

Pamac is though among the best app stores out there. Simple, clean, fast, no adverts, no other distractions from the apps goal that is to manage my system software. Hope that continues as that whatever the decisions you make for its future, even if you decide on such a “proprietary” DE agnostic look and feel made on Flutter or elsewhere.

Have a nice day!..

3 Likes

Concordo 100%.
Yes I do agree with you 100% and feel the same about Pamac, simple, clean fast with no other distractions from the app goal and this new version to me does that in a more eyecandy way.
And I must say that like it, I use pamac here and there to search and sometimes install an app.

1 Like

Personally, I find Pamac’s new UI a good change – it is familiar for me to Pamac 9.5.X look (which I was used to) except new GUI has much more options/functionalities, like filtering apps by groups. I disagree it is a downgrade, it’s huge improvement for me when comparing it to Pamac 10.X interface – in fact, new GUI was the reason why I decided to upgrade my Pamac version from 9.5.X to 11.X RC (yes, I downgraded from 10.X because of bad UI design and bugs it had – some UI flaws made in 10.X are still in 11.X, but I hope they will be fixed soon).

1 Like

Totally agree.
Personally, I find it more intuitive and clear.

1 Like

In my opinion you should reconsider this, because not all the users needs Pamac, libhandy and libadwaita.
I use XFCE and KDE with gtk3-nocsd, and I’m very happy without crappy CSD that kills all the functions of my windows managers.
Put it again on our extra repos with a notice about what you said, please

The new Pamac looks very good, it is moving in the right direction.

Very good work from the developers, I’m glad, thank you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi everyone,
I am having a not critical but annoying issue since this change. The tab’s text is not showing properly in Spanish. Someone with the same issue or it is just me?

Thank you

Yeah, it’s a known issue, that some localizations are not displayed correctly. It’s like the buttons have a fixed width.

Thank you for the quick reply, I will wait for a future fix then.

1 Like