Pamac's new look

You know that, there is a tab on right side?

Doesn’t work perfect for now, you need to select something first, because right tab displays when something is in memory or something like that.

Yep, I know about the tab, when a package is selected pamac reduces the app layout to two rows but that’s because of the space the tab itself occupies so the view is still cramped, and if a flatpak is selected pamac seems to keep three rows and crop the tab (see image), though that may be a bug.

It rather is :slight_smile:

Yeah, and three rows are kept also with some non flatpak packages, possibly when there is no package screenshot and the tab occupies less space, see this image of a test pamac search for “video”.

I think the new layout makes it difficult to browse for packages and especially so for new Manjaro users, plus it makes pamac GUI less elegant, clean and good looking than it was. IMO it would be better to keep one row per package.

The way it looks right now - yes.
I am watching the development intently. The menus no longer flutter back and forth and finally a two-column layout instead of this previous waste of space. Pamac is on the right track for me.

OK, then it’s a matter of different tastes. I favor a clean and good looking design over filling white space and I’m okay with scrolling a bit more.

I think we can start to gather funds for Guillaume hospitalization. When Pamac reach 11 version, guinux will be completely insane, or he starts to troll us badly and after update Pamac will welcome us with CSD on half screen high :grin:

1 Like

Why did they decide to show the most important Details/Dependency/Build files of packages on that small sidebar which is not even resizable, How can I edit a build file in that small view ? How can I read the long full names of files ? Why is that preview image is bigger that needs scrolling horizontally to view it ?

1 Like

Click the icon on the top-right side to disable that Panel. You need to do that every time you start Pamac, and after clicking a package first. Then clicking a package gives you the proper behavior like before.

Opened a feature request to change that here https://gitlab.manjaro.org/applications/pamac/-/issues/1098

5 Likes

It would be great if you guys open Feature Requests per problem you see, so we can track it better. Not every developer of us is active in the forums. So far thx for the feedback.

3 Likes

Ah now I see thanks, I though that button only hides the sidebar.

I am thinking of a multicolumn list of packages but if you click on a package it will show on one column but not on the right side, which is not possible when full screen on my 2560x1600 laptop.

since Manjaro is again focusing on the desktop version,why not bring back the old Ui?
what was wrong with it?
imo it had such a pleasant little compact interface; now it all over the place for me,it’s size, the location it opens on the screen,like others i have weird grey elements in some of the "preferences"menu, and i feel like it’s harder to access the sub menus.

i manage fine with the new one and it’s not a big deal since i don’t live in Pamac,but prefer the previous one.

If you’re talking about Third Party or/and General tab, then it’s library issue.

Wasn’t comfy on mobile. Part of current issues can be caused by widgets’ library, for example, so it’s not necessarily bugs in Pamac itself.

1 Like

I’ve seen it being reported,no big deal for me since i can still see the written text,it’s just not nice,
and in general i don’t like the new layout.

I am very satisfied about the pamac look now except for 2 points:

1. the “License”, “Repository”, “Packager” etc. are left-aligned, not middle-aligned as before

1. lot of blank at below

Enhancement:

put the picture display in a small window which displays only one picture like this:

1 Like

Update: Why is the clear blue/red button all turned to black and white?

I have no issue:

Screenshot_20211203_145454

What GTK-theme are you using?

Breeze

Now I use Breath and its fine.