Pamac's new look

Thanks a lot.

Also, do you think Pamac could maybe write sizes as MiB, KiB instead of MB, KB – to be more consistent with Linux common practices?

1 Like

Can’t answer to that question, but i think is a good one.
Open up an issue regarding that, and probably @guinux will consider to implement it …

3 Likes

Created the issue, but seems that not everyone sees it as common as I do :slight_smile:

1 Like

thunar, nautilus use base10 , only dolhin use base2 - for me bug is dolphin not other :wink:
base 2 is a standard of the last century, it is perhaps time to forget it

ps: but yes pacman use base2 :sob:
bis: I prefer base 10 :blush: df -H --output=avail --total | tail -n1 , with -h :frowning_face:

I confirm this as well. When clicked, I get only some visual info (color change) that I clicked it, but then it’s gone when I release the click pressure. Refreshing mirrors simply doesn’t work.

1 Like

Well, most of our developers enjoy their weekend. Anyway, we reverted some part of how the progress is shown for refreshing mirrorlists until we find a proper way to visualize it and how it can be added in preferences window.

Criticism is great, but if we have a vision to go adaptive, we address this first. Also I don’t see any issues opened yet, that KDE Plasma is now more or less broken due to addition of libhandy usage …

2 Likes

I like the new look, call that an upvote. Simple, clean, and modern

:+1:

1 Like

Could you explain or link to the source material? I recall reading something on that topic but don’t remember what exactly, so your remark doesn’t ring any bells.

Support for GTK apps has been improved as well in KDE Plasma 5.21.3 by align the height of the menus in all GTK apps with those in KDE and Qt apps, as well as to force GTK apps that rely on the new Libhandy library to display their top headerbars with the right height.

https://9to5linux.com/kde-plasma-5-21-3-is-out-to-improve-the-new-plasma-system-monitor-app-and-support-for-gtk-apps
https://developer.puri.sm/Librem5/Apps/Guides/Design/Adaptive_UI/index.html

People should not use gtk3-nocsd or gtk3-classic from now on. In other words: future is with CSD and DWDs

3 Likes

CSD was a big mistake and will always be the nightmare that hunts every GTK app in every platform ! Mixing toolbars and menu with titlebar was by no mean a clever decision.

3 Likes

That is because it was a recent change :grin:

Paraphrasing: The future is now, old man. :rofl:

(probably don’t have much sense, but I found it funny)

2 Likes

Can you give an example where KDE has broken any GTK app which I can report to KDE team to analyze it ?

Thanks for the links. However, I disagree with the above statement. The CSDs brought us nothing but nightmares: lack of customizations, forced on apps where CSDs don’t belong to, lack of GUI coherence, various issues in various environments. SSDs were never causing such troubles. SSDs are boring in most DEs, I admit, but in KDE it’s another story.

Additionally, you cannot expect every app or program out there to have a standardized CSD? It’s never going to happen. CSDs are creating friction and inconsistency.
Also, SSDs can be turned off when maximized! This allows for upper panel to become a source of all useful features: buttons, titles, menus, widgets, systray, etc. CSDs cannot be turned off, and they create unnecessary horizontal waste of space.

See Chrome with SSDs, maximized without titlebar + upper panel:

Then see what happens when CSD app is maximized:

In the first case, there is no waste, we have functional bar with tabs or tools. In second case, CSD is limited and maximized shows just empty, unused, space.

If only CSDs were customizable like toolbars can be (in KDE), then it wouldn’t be so problematic, but they aren’t and that is why they are a bad choice.

It also feels like Gnome is IMPOSING THEIR BAD DESIGN ON OTHERS. If you use Gnome, your choice but why Gnome’s bad design is imposed on other DEs? That is bad, bad practice and not why we are on Linux. I want to have choice, CSDs are taking away the choice.

3 Likes

Hi,

pamac with those black lines (right and bottom), is it a gtk bug?

ARM device details…

Probably issue of your theme of choice. Did you tried with other one?

1 Like

Yes I did, same issue.

I don’t have such problem on KDE, probably you use non official theme.

I never use exotic theme, pamac is working well, just this issue, no more :-)

ARM device here, look my screenfetch.

1 Like

I linked above how Pamac looks both with Breeze and Dark Breeze.