Pamac update problem (jre, jdk)

I have had the following error each time I try to install the latest update:

conflicting dependencies:
- jre-openjdk and jre-openjdk-headless are in conflict

Something wrong with the update?

Check the Stable announcement, it tells you what you need to do.

1 Like

You should have done this first. Before upgrading, actually. But here’s the relevant part:

1 Like

For pamac:

1 Like

I have never come across this in the several years I’ve been using manjaro. If it that important/necessary why is it not mentioned in pamac as a “First do…” - or better still, let pamac do it auomatically - or as an interactive procedure.

Still an error…

sudo pacman -Syu jdk-openjdk 
:: Synchronising package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 multilib is up to date
:: Starting full system upgrade...
:: Replace kuserfeedback with extra/kuserfeedback5? [Y/n] y
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...
error: unresolvable package conflicts detected
error: failed to prepare transaction (conflicting dependencies)
:: jdk-openjdk and jre-openjdk are in conflict

This is why you read, and pay attention to the Announcements, because it was explicitly said:

This isn’t windows, not everything is or will be automatic.

I was not even aware of the notification - I click \update and it updates. Usually.

But there is still an error.

Commands suggested in Known information and solutions on forum announcements for this issue don’t work, and users don’t seem to be capable of reading further into the topic to find working solutions

There’s a big chance you have a lot of .pacnew files that requires merging than. See:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Pacman/Pacnew_and_Pacsave#Why_these_files_are_created

Edit:

Yeah, sorry.

1 Like

That worked. Thank you. Pamac is now running correctly.

And I have run sudo pacman -Rs $(pacman -Qqdt) (which I do now and again) and yes, quite a few packages. Could this option not be interactively run at the end of an update? (I have several debian servers set to do this on auto-update.)

This isn’t windows,

For which I am thankfull, believe me. But a way of persuading others to abandon windows is to automate as much as possible - many newly ex-windows users would have been floored by this problem, I’m sure.

I have made a script that does just6 about everything for you:

Like you were? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

See this:

1 Like

I tried to reply earlier but manjaro / firefox would not give me a reply box, so this is posted from debian. I suspect not yet having rebooted manjaro may be the problem (it takes best part of an hour to reset everything) OR that firefox requires the JDK I deleted.

In reply to Mirdarthos:

I have made a script

Which I hope will be added to each relevant pamac instance?

Like you were (floored)

Pretty much, although I had little time to follow through. I am not a linux beginner; I’ve been using various versions including web and mail servers for a couple of decades at least, but I am lazy/busy and expect things to just work. Which they usually do. :slight_smile:

Manjaro is NOT suitable for absolute beginners

Yes, I seem to vaguely recall seeing that in the long distant past. But you’re selling yourselves short. Once installed it runs pretty smoothly for the most part and this forum is remarkably helpful. I would expect it to be relatively easy for an experiences windows user.

:man_shrugging:

That’s not up to me, but feel free to use it.

thank you for your summary of solution, it worked for me :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.